Honored Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

@thrifty wrote:

Been living in the New Oreans area, well before Hurricane Katrina and this is what we learned the hard way: All your utilities want their money: Electric, water, gas, cable, and so on.  You will get a bill to pay up to the day of the fooding.  They will find you when you do an address change.  The federal flood insurance program is way under funded so, some people with flood insurance are going to be screwed.  That will be a first come basis sadly.  If your home got water up to the ceiling and the insurance considers it a total loss (all this can take months to a year before you get things finalised) and if the government steps in, you wont get much money but you MIGHT not have to pay the mortgage off and might not have to go through bankruptcy.  Some people will end up filling for bankruptcy, some will get enough help from FEMA and some other organizations that they will be able to repair their homes.  But, because soo many homes, apartments and bussnesses throughtout Texas and Louisiana got flooded, there will be a back log for places like Home Depot and Lowes and other places that carry wood and home repair items (flooring, dry wall,etc).  The sooner you get started the better.  Some items it took us 1 1/2 years before we got because so many people had the same demand for it at the same time.  As for cars, most will be a right off, but it depends on the bank you got the loan from.  A lot of those cars will be cleaned up and resold without the buyer knowing it was flooded.  Life will go on, but very slowly.  And a lot of people that lived in those hard hit areas will have some form of PTSD but most will never seak help for it.  

You're right I have seen several articles and how to be aware...many of these cars will show up for sale. Thanks for explaining what one goes through in these situations. Sorry you had such a hard time. My father rode Katrina out...after we begged him to come to us. It was horrible for him for about 6 months. He did get out the day after when he had no air, TV...or a way to get food. We took him back after 2 months. He had to stand in line at the grocery stores they would only let a certain number of people in at a time.

My husband worked and lived in N.O. for about 6 months...work related, I have many stories they both told me about life after Katrina.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

I lived in California for forty years, acres were lost to fires, houses were burned to the ground, earthquakes destroyed properties and buildings, and on and on.

I remember one fire in Malibu when homes were destroyed and people rebuilt on the same spot, not once, but twice.  They loved where they lived and no matter what they refused to leave the area.  They had fire insurance, had no choice, it was mandatory. 

What is happening in Texas is beyond my imagination as to how one recovers from the devastation.  Many people haven't realized just  yet the enormity of their loss.  They are too busy keeping themselves and their families together and getting settled in makeshift shelters.

Once the initial shock wears off the biggest shock will hit them and that is when emotions will be raw.  Each individual is different, some are survivors, some are stronger than others, the need for mental support will be great.  Some will never be the same.  It is just too big to wrap my head around, I don't know where or how people start.   I don't know what I would do and I have always, no matter what the situation been able to take charge and fix things but with what is going on in Texas, I don't think I could do it.

Yes, there will be professional help of different kinds but not enough.  There are just too many people affected by this tragedy.  I will keep them in my prayers, God Bless each and everyone, keep them strong, keep them safe.  Their lives will never be the same.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

It's very easy to say "just get flood insurance," but with the price increases, it's rapidly becoming unaffordable for the people who need it most. I'm dealing with selling a home located in a river flood plain, and the fact that the insurance requirement is going to have a major negative effect on the price a buyer is willing to pay is very much on my mind. I believe the policy currently on the house now is set to increase 18%. My insurance agent told me of two local real estate deals that collapsed recently because of the cost of flood insurance, which was over $10K a year. The buyers just walked away.

Ironically, this may be what stops people and businesses from building where they shouldn't, but it's not helping the people who have been living there all their lives and can't afford to move, or were never in the flood plain until FEMA's recent remapping.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel sorry for the people that loss everything. I don't know how you would recover from such losses. I heard that it will costs the government around 5.1 billion dollars.

Many did not have flood insurance because they were not in a flood zone. At least, that is what they had been informed. A retired man said this was the second time and he was going to move.

I can't imagine how you could rebuild until the area was completely dried out. Texas is quite humid. Also, I would worry about mold. The sewage and many other elements that could affect your health.

Losing everything you own would be devasting but you still have your life. Just look at Katrina, many of the areas have not been rebuilt and are just left vacant.

I heard that those in the shelter will be offered other places to live temporarily, i.e hotels, motels. I think you would still have to pay your mortgages on your home. If you had a loss on a new car, I would think your insurance would pay but their might be a balance left. The people's lives are in financial ruin and it may take a long time to recover if ever.

The news showed one home where the water was up to the counter in the kitchen. Another man was getting help to tear down the walls. The water would still be prevalent in the house and the structure had to be weakened.

I can only hope and pray every one gets help and can move on from this disaster. I can imagine many will be deeply depressed and unable to gather their thoughts when all is done.

Super Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I think I would have to more to another state, I wouldn't want to stay there.But year after yearpeople stay in flooded areas,, and keep rebuilding. I don't understand that at all!!

A lot of poor people are living in the modest houses left to them by their hard-working but modest relatives. They keep staying because it's all they have. When you are poor you don't have the main thing that money gives: options.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have been thinking of this also , what will happen to the loans on cars, homes  will they still have to pay?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

@TeezNu wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

There have to be insurance people on the scene dealing with their customers.   You might not ID, important documents, account numbers - it's so overwhelming.    

Was just reading something about preparing for an emergency.  Article suggested you scan all important papers, credit cards, ID, etc. and email to yourself.  Think I'm going to do that asap.

As long as you can get to the internet, you can access them.   That might be a good idea

The problem is places like welfare want hard copies that have the seal (ex: birth certificate)

Honored Contributor

I just can't imagine living in a city that is at sea level and NOT having flood insurance. Really??

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I think about these people too. Soooo many...

So your house is ruined, the whole area is ruined. You have to move, you had a job, now you have to get another job, but you have no computer, no access to your documents, no clothes... How do you even get a job??  I wish I could do more.  

I cant believe the urban planners / civil engineers in that low- lying area did such a dismal  job in their planning- building everywhere in flood- plains. Do they even look at topographical maps??  So tragically sad. 

Honored Contributor

My thought went to the children.  They worry, structure is blown to the hills.  Life as they knew it, gone.  Some are w/o their pets, some have lost relatives, their world is topsy turvy, and so much is unknown.  The fear in them about their next step in life must be terrifying.