Esteemed Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

"There but for the grace of God go I" !!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I think that some people will walk away from the mortgages and/or car loans and I worry about the effect that will have on the overall economy nationwide. 

My husband and I were just discussing this at dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

I feel like it would be like grieving when you (I) suddenly lose someone. At first I was very busy with all the at hand aspects. The drive of people and having all the tasks at hand. Then after awhile it all settles in. That's when it will all come crashing down. Imagine the older people displaced. Those that are alone. I hope they all have a strong faith, 

I think I saw that look in several older people who were being rescued.

Respected Contributor

I imagine some people never recover from this kind of loss - financially or emotionally.   I don't even know how you begin, where you start - I'm sure there are immediate needs and long-term needs that need to be dealt with 

My heart hurts for people in these situations.   

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

I may be off base... but maybe it should be a requirement we all have flood insurance if we own a home?

@croemer  I think all insurance companies should advise their customers on this matter. 

There are myths out there regarding flood insurance.  People still think that their homeowners policy will cover floods because storm damage is covered.

The more informed people are the better decisions they can make. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I can't imagine the filth of it all too, & how miserable it must be.

Texas is hot and humid at this time of year, & is now filled w/ fetid waters & awful things.

I'm sure I'd be thinking 'I just want to go home!', but there's nowhere to go, & no way to get anywhere.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The engine in my almost-new car was ruined when my son drove it through some flood water (not Harvey).  My insurance paid for a new engine and a rental car.  Yes, cars are covered if they are damaged by flood water minus the deductible. 

I did the same thing to my new car! It was totaled after that and insurance covered it.

Lets say your car is 2 years old...do they cover the value of the car or you owe on it?

@croemer,

My insurance company gave me a check for the price of the car, less depreciation. I paid off my loan but did not have much left to buy a car of equal value. I think it depends on the type of replacement policy you have.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I can't imagine the filth of it all too, & how miserable it must be.

Texas is hot and humid at this time of year, & is now filled w/ fetid waters & awful things.

I'm sure I'd be thinking 'I just want to go home!', but there's nowhere to go, & no way to get anywhere.

I know.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The engine in my almost-new car was ruined when my son drove it through some flood water (not Harvey).  My insurance paid for a new engine and a rental car.  Yes, cars are covered if they are damaged by flood water minus the deductible. 

I did the same thing to my new car! It was totaled after that and insurance covered it.

Lets say your car is 2 years old...do they cover the value of the car or you owe on it?

@croemer,

My insurance company gave me a check for the price of the car, less depreciation. I paid off my loan but did not have much left to buy a car of equal value. I think it depends on the type of replacement policy you have.

Boy... you are already busted with possibly no furniture, house repairs and now finding away to buy a car...which is need for a job.

Honored Contributor

How if your house was paid off or almost with no flood insurance?

I can't imagine.

I would get all the help I could. Many people probably don't have their SS cards or birth certificates to file for  welfare etc.

I would try to stay with friends/family.  I would then file a BK and start all over. (If I had huge debt)

Ask the people from katrina or Sandy how they recovered.