Honored Contributor

Re: So I bought a paint by number.

Proud from NJ:

Don't throw them away.  If you have a garage, maybe hang them there.

Or donate them to an assisted living or other seniors facility where folks there might appreciate them.  (If they allow hanging pictures on walls, etc.).

Or donate to a nice local Thrift shop.

But, please, don't throw them away.  So many (plenty) people love paint-by-numbers paintings.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm now thinking that the reason why I haven't opened the package is that the Parrot and background seems too intricate for me.

I'm now suggesting to first-timer painters to take a look at the children's section of paint-by-numbers kits.

I'm only guessing that they might offer butterflies, stylized flowers, simple designs, etc. that might appeal to adults.  

Just guessing, of course.

I'll take a look later this afternoon..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My first, and last, paint by number was a beautiful religious one with a black velvet background that took 3 months to complete. It turned out very nice and I was so proud of my efforts. The painting is still here, but after falling off the wall twice and breaking 2 glass frames, it hasn't been displayed for years.
Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I haven’t done one of these in years, probably since I was a kid in the 80’s. This one is a lot more details and bigger, but I thought since I’m home more, why not? Do any of you all paint? Let me make it known that I am not an artist, at all. Just thought it would be fun. 

Very familiar with WVU, Son, DIL have masters, grandaughter has a Doctorate from there. Had to say something about your paint by numbers, made me order 2 this morning, one for me and one for my sister. I did these years ago, loved them and totally forgot about them, you made me think about them. I'm 86 ,sister 98, something we both have time for ,Thanks. I bought ours from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

OK, you've impressed me.  My poor arthritic hands and fingers wouldn't let me hold that tiny brush for long enough to go very far with it.

When I was young I did crafts.  I was really, really big into cross stitch.  Some of the one's I did are all over my house.

Some of them (under glass and professionally framed) look like paintings.  People actually think they are paintings.

My eyes have stayed pretty good, don't need glasses to read even the smallest print but "again" the hands would betray me.

I hope you post the picture so we can envy your expertise and be impressed that you can follow through.  That's my biggest problem...I get bored so quickly.

Here's something I learned from watching Live PD on A&E channel.  Everytime a cop goes through a car they've stopped when they see those color by number books that tells them the occupants are probably on meth or some hard drugs.

The cops have said that for some weird reason when drug addicts are coming down from the drugs they color these things.  They think it has something to do with concentrating or whatever.

It's happened several times where they'll find the coloring books and comment on it.

I've bought those books but lost interest after about 10-15 minutes.

Valued Contributor

It's funny you should mention it because I was just looking at them on online. I used to do these but felt conflicted because I thought I should be doing "real art" which I have done in the past. But there is something in the PbN's that appeals to my obessive compulsive nature. Sitting bent over the canvas filling in the numbered areas. You don't have to think....just do. Awhile back I saw a magazine article, might have been Mary Englebright's Home Companion of a someone who actually collected old paint by numbers. They looked really cool on her wall.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4I used to make tons of those loop potholders.