Trusted Contributor

Re: So Happy. Got my new D/L .

Living close to Canada I will use my enhanced DL to cross the border vs a passport. I don't like to carry my passport if I'm not traveling.

dee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got mine this past September.  My husband got his in January.  I actually thought the Real ID thing was over with/everyone got their ID's  Didn't know they are doing them.   When I got mine, it was almost chaos.  Hundreds of people showed up to DMV.  Some had to be turned away at the door and told to go home, as they didn't have everything that was needed.  We stood in  this horrible, long, noisy line.  They made an announcement that those that had a appointment, would have to go next door.  That was us.  We went next door and there was exactly 5 people ahead of us.  Thank goodness we made an appointment.  Those others didn't. So many people then, they were probably there the wole day.   

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I got mine this past September.  My husband got his in January.  I actually thought the Real ID thing was over with/everyone got their ID's  Didn't know they are doing them.   When I got mine, it was almost chaos.  Hundreds of people showed up to DMV.  Some had to be turned away at the door and told to go home, as they didn't have everything that was needed.  We stood in  this horrible, long, noisy line.  They made an announcement that those that had a appointment, would have to go next door.  That was us.  We went next door and there was exactly 5 people ahead of us.  Thank goodness we made an appointment.  Those others didn't. So many people then, they were probably there the wole day.   

@songbird  So what state are you talking about? Unless you tell us no one can relate.

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia 

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@qvcaddition   I"m glad everything went well for you, but I dont understand what had to be passed?  You studied for a written test?  For the new license I believe proper identification needs to be shown along with the old license.  I guess I am not understanding your post.

I have a passport so I can use that.  Will avoid going to Motor Vehicles for as long as possible.  I had to fly in May.  Didn't want to but it was the only option.

I had to renew my D/L.  I brought my old license.  I was ready to take the written test.  In my state of Ca. After you are 70, you can,t renew by mail anymore. You have to go in and take test.  Well, my license expired yesterday and am now 84.  I have been driving since the age of 16 and no tickets or accidents in all these years.

Well you have to have an appt. Because of the virus. I had a 10 appt., But got there at 9.  They took me right in, did all the necessary documents, vision test, picture, my real Id documents which was my passport and SS as I said.  The only thing I didn,t have to do was take the written test that I studied for since Jan.  They passed me through on that.  The whole process took about 20 minutes.

Now does it make sense to you?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition          It makes perfect sense now.  Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I hope my state doesn't require that when I turn 70.    I have a few years before that happens.  I live in NJ.

Honored Contributor

I got my Real ID more than a year ago.  It was painless.  You could make an appointment.  When I arrived, there was one line for appointment folks (4 or 5 ahead of me, since I was a bit early).  The no-appointment line pobably had 30-40 people in line.  Never could figure out why more oflks weren't doing the appointment option.

Esteemed Contributor

At this time, obtaining a Real ID in Arizona isn't an option; even with an appointment.  They are even extending expired DLs!  I have both passport and passport card but I'd like to also have Real ID.

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia 

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

@qvcaddition          It makes perfect sense now.  Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I hope my state doesn't require that when I turn 70.    I have a few years before that happens.  I live in NJ.

Enjoy everyday, no matter what happens.  Live in the moment, because the days and years go fast.  Be happy and have faith. That is what got me through the hardships and now.  Sorry, not preaching and telling you what to do, just what works helped and worked for me. Take care.

Respected Contributor

Good for you!  I got mine March 6 before all this madness.  Spent three hours at the DMV.  Took a half of a vacation day, got out in 3 hours 12 minutes.  Once it was my turn, it went quickly.  My SS card had my full middle name, my other documents only had a middle initial, thought I might get turned away.  Glad it worked!  Only to find out it was extended another year with COVID.  Oh well, it’s done.  I’m in PA.