Respected Contributor

Re: So Frustrated By Pandemic Price Gouging

@4kitties  You got it right. A friend of mine works part time in a meat department and this man would send his kids in to hoard the hamburger. They had signs posted a limit of 4 pkg and let him know he was aware what was happening is all he could do.

They way some customers treat cashiers and not wanting an arguement I would not be comfortable in confronting them on their over the limits. They don't get paid enough to be abused. Customers scream at staff when sold out, especially with a sale.

We used a capful of bleach per pint of water in Head Start as per Federal guidelines. The downside is I ruined alot of clothing with bleach spattering.

Good for the OP in taking time to report this. Maybe end up like the guy with  truck load of hand sanitizer some months ago?  Busted.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u 

If you're a Costco or Sams Club member, they have face masks a lot cheaper than other retailers.

In June I paid $19 for a box of 50 masks. I was in Costco last week and the same masks are now $11.99 .

Honored Contributor

Re: So Frustrated By Pandemic Price Goughing

@LoveMeSomeQVC   He could also be shopping with multiple people who are quiet about their relationship so he could be checking out with the limited amount and so are they.

I really doubt he is checking out with 20 Clorox containers; somebody would speak up.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I agree it is so annoying to see people cleaning out an entire shelf of something; I would love to fill my basket with Clorox wipes, but I think I would never do that, even if I could find any!
Costco has limits on some things; we watched a man grab five cases of bottled water back in April; an employee nearby told him there was a limit of two...and there was a sign posted right next to the water. He ignored both and proceeded to the check out and we happened to be right behind him in line. The cashier told him it was a limit of two and the register locks after two are charged. IF you try and get in line again, it locks your membership card....very savvy of Costco. I saw one container of Clorox wipes on eBay for $58 dollars plus $8.99 shipping. Outrageous and they should be ashamed.
Valued Contributor

I am bothered by the greed too.  I have a close friend who has severe OCD, and this pandemic has really aggravated his symptoms.  He buys disinfecting products from ebay and from individuals who clear the shelves and he's almost going broke.  He's suffering mentally.  He will pay whatever price to have his peace of mind.  He's really ill and it is sad to see him being gouged this way.  He really doesn't have a choice as he is enslaved by his illness.  He is working with a therapist though, but it takes time.  Unfortunately there will always be unscrupulous people who will buy up all the goods without regard for others who need to buy as well, or those who prey upon others though just to make a buck. 

Honored Contributor

I have't been going out to shop enough to know if limits are being enforced, though I do see signs in some places indicating those limits. Often, there aren't even enough items on some shelves to worry about limits... That, of course, is a different, though sometimes related, issue to the reality that it seems everybody, including legitimate retail entities, has jacked up prices on some things. Some of the prices I'm seeing, especially online, are just highway robbery.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@LoveMeSomeQVC wrote:

@Pearlee   Yes, my fingers got away from me!  :-)

Yes, it is frustrating that they are not imposing the limits but I think some of it may be a safety issue for their associates so they don't have to engage in a confrontation. The guy that I mentioned is "agressively" clearing the shelves - he's going in there knowing what he's looking for and grabbing it. There is definitely a market for these products, even at the inflated prices and that just makes me mad....and sad. See below for a couple of listing examples....

Goughing.JPGGoughing.JPG 

@LoveMeSomeQVC 

Keep in mind that any of us can post an auction on Ebay, and ASK anything we want .... but it doesn't mean we'll have many takers.  Another example of the law of supply and demand.  Happens all the time.  

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Can you use the Clorox disinfecting spray with a paper towel? 
Stores should limit the number of items that are in scarcity that people can buy at a time. The companies have said they can't keep up with demand so it might be better to find alternatives even if it's not exactly what you want. 

They're still limiting items at the stores in our area.

There are signs up in the stores in the particular sections that have limits--toilet paper and paper towels, canned veggies and soups, for example.

It depends on the store/supermarket, but most of them are still putting a limit on the paper towels and toilet paper here.

We were at a dollar store awhile ago, and my husband wanted to get some toilet paper rolls, for example. 

I told him that there was a limit on them there, and he still put more than the allowed amount on the conveyer belt because he didn't notice the sign for the limit posted anywhere where it could be seen. 

When the cashier was scanning our items, she told us that there was a limit on the toilet paper rolls, and that we were over by one of the rolls. 

So, the limits were being enforced there.

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@LoveMeSomeQVC   The cashiers are probably afraid to say anything.

At our local grocery chain the register will pick up on any quantity over the limit and stop the transaction until the item(s) over are removed.

This is at the self-checkout and a clerk has to enter a code to have the register continue to work.

I don't know about regular check out.

It seems Wal-Mart could have some type of feature to halt the transaction.

I have also seen people in pairs checks out at different registers in order to buy items over the limit, so they end up with 4 instead of 2 of something (example) if 2 is the limit.

The sign would need to say 2 is the limit per household instead of per person.  Not verifiable so....  it's a big cruel world out there; those darn husband and wives each taking their own cart.  

Esteemed Contributor

Stores can stop it through the computer if after one is rung up it charges way more for 2 of the same item just like when they run regular sales.