Honored Contributor

Re: So Frustrated By Pandemic Price Goughing

@LoveMeSomeQVC   The cashiers are probably afraid to say anything.

At our local grocery chain the register will pick up on any quantity over the limit and stop the transaction until the item(s) over are removed.

This is at the self-checkout and a clerk has to enter a code to have the register continue to work.

I don't know about regular check out.

It seems Wal-Mart could have some type of feature to halt the transaction.

I have also seen people in pairs checks out at different registers in order to buy items over the limit, so they end up with 4 instead of 2 of something (example) if 2 is the limit.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Re: So Frustrated By Pandemic Price Gouging

@Pearlee   Yes, my fingers got away from me!  :-)

Yes, it is frustrating that they are not imposing the limits but I think some of it may be a safety issue for their associates so they don't have to engage in a confrontation. The guy that I mentioned is "agressively" clearing the shelves - he's going in there knowing what he's looking for and grabbing it. There is definitely a market for these products, even at the inflated prices and that just makes me mad....and sad. See below for a couple of listing examples....

Goughing.JPGGoughing.JPG 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoveMeSomeQVC wrote:

@Pearlee   Yes, my fingers got away from me!  :-)

Yes, it is frustrating that they are not imposing the limits but I think some of it may be a safety issue for their associates so they don't have to engage in a confrontation. The guy that I mentioned is "agressively" clearing the shelves - he's going in there knowing what he's looking for and grabbing it. There is definitely a market for these products, even at the inflated prices and that just makes me mad....and sad. See below for a couple of listing examples....

Goughing.JPGGoughing.JPG 

@LoveMeSomeQVC 

You can report price gougers to your State Attorney General's Office. (google it, in most states you can file an online complaint!)...they are taking it seriously, at least in my State, Texas.....

And it sounds like the Walmart cashiers dont want to deal with irate customers to they are letting people get away with it, they should call the Store Manager if people give them any hassle.....  At my grocery store, HEB, the Managers were on the news and said...LIMITS ON CERTAIN PRODUCTS WILL BE ENFORCED AND THERE'S A LIMIT OF 
ONE CART PER HOUSEHOLD!!! and they enforce it!.This was also posted on their website and they have signs. And the Manager told my sister he know exactly who the hoarders are and watches them......too many people have complained about hoarders (and your probably right the guy's reselling items and making a nice profit)............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

One of my sons now works at Walmart (better pay than Staples and better benefits, by far). I'll tell you why the cashiers are told to say nothing: violence. Be it having a gun pulled on them (this is Florida, so it happens frequently), being punched in the face/grabbed by the collar, being spit on (masks are a huge political issue here)....I could go on. Also, son says that since they get such large amounts of items in, management sees no reason to limit the amount one can buy. 

So, there it is from the mouth of a Walmart employee.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I am surprised to hear stores in your area are allowing this.  The stores in my area have limits and they are enforcing them.  Walmart, Aldi, Kroger, etc.  

@4kitties      The stores put up signs... but the checkers say nothing if people buy more than they should... so the signs are not inenforced at all....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What did people use before Lysol spray and Clorox wipes?

To disinfect, Lysol spray requires you to preclean the hard surface, then completely cover with spray and leave on for 3 minutes and allow to air dry. So if the stuff is evaporating before 3 minutes elapses, you'd have to respray. To deal with noroviruses, the dwell time is 10 minutes. Both require air drying, so wiping the stuff off is a no-no. Personally, I would sooner use a bleach solution and rinse off and dry with clean paper towels. But I mention Lysol's disinfecting protocol because I think it's unlikely that  many people are following it. Hence, their surfaces are not being truly disinfected.

For Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, the dwell time is even longer:

• Wipe surface to be disinfected.
  • Keep surface wet for 4 minutes.
  • Let surface dry.
  • For highly soiled surfaces, clean excess dirt first.

The Clorox website tells you how to make your own disinfecting solution. Google "How to Make Your Own Disinfecting Solution with Clorox Bleach" for the guide.

edited to correct idiotic typos

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

Here they are enforced at the checkout.  Some customers have been pretty upset but they are held to the limits.  There are signs for certain items stating the limit right on the shelves too.  

On one of my last Aldi trips a lady tried to buy 12 cans of beans that had a 4 can limit.  They refused to sell her more than 4.

Edited to add:  Of course I am not always there to see if the rule is enforced each time.  And a shopper could make multiple trips...........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Here they are enforced at the checkout.  Some customers have been pretty upset but they are held to the limits.  There are signs for certain items stating the limit right on the shelves too.  

On one of my last Aldi trips a lady tried to buy 12 cans of beans that had a 4 can limit.  They refused to sell her more than 4.

Edited to add:  Of course I am not always there to see if the rule is enforced each time.  And a shopper could make multiple trips...........

@4kitties   yes there are always those type of people who are all for themselves and take advantage of a situation... 

Esteemed Contributor

I would take the receipt that you should have, and start off with trying to contact the manager of that store and report. If you get nowhere, then I would go online and contact WalMart headquarters directly.  WalMart would need information from your receipt such as the store number.

Limits are not hard to enforce, that particular Walmart is being deliberately lazy, and does not seem to care.

All of the stores by me have limits on such items, with clear signage posted. There are a few that have even adjusted their registers that will not allow you to ring up more then the allotted quantity.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624     The Walmart in my area strictly enforces the limit on certain products....can't lump all Walmart's in to one.