Honored Contributor

Re: So Disrespectful...People Who Do Not Send "Thank You" Notes

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Being told by a parent to write a note or at least acknowledge the gift doesn't always work. At least with my niece it never did. So it isn't always "how you were raised". 

The parent needs to follow through, you can't just tell them why it should be done, you sit down with them when they are little and help them do it.  Most kids don't like doing thank you notes, but after awhile it becomes second nature.

Esteemed Contributor

@KateE

Day-um!!!!!  Both those stories are shocking...I would have been sorely tempted to forward that email to everyone I knew or post it on social media...take that, princess!   Not to mention that I would have to stop myself from sending the one who told me "it wasn't enough" a cruddy old penny the next time around!!   Sheesh!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Being told by a parent to write a note or at least acknowledge the gift doesn't always work. At least with my niece it never did. So it isn't always "how you were raised". 

Exactly. No matter how we teach our children what the correct protocol is and thanking someone for a gift it won't necessarily be continued when our children reach adulthood. In fact, I think often times think children love to rebel against what they were taught. And you can have two children both raised the same way in the same house and one will continue to write or text a thank you and the other will not. Human nature is funny sometimes and difficult to explain....

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Akane wrote:

I give a gift because I want to. Not because I expect to be appreciated. Can't believe some of the huffy responses here saying they won't give anymore. It wasn't from the heart then. 

@Akane

Does that mean you don't bother with thank you's either?

I was simply stating that when I give I don't expect a pat on the back. I give because I want to. I wouldn't stop giving to someone I love because they don't thank me. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

The parent needs to follow through, you can't just tell them why it should be done, you sit down with them when they are little and help them do it.  Most kids don't like doing thank you notes, but after awhile it becomes second nature.

Never worked, no matter what. Stubborn. Kids can be different, just like people who are always late. They can't always be controlled.

You  should have seen me trying to get her dressed as a two year old. Fought me the whole way. I told her to stay in her pjs all day cause I had enough,

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Never worked, no matter what. Stubborn. Kids can be different, just like people who are always late. They can't always be controlled.

You  should have seen me trying to get her dressed as a two year old. Fought me the whole way. I told her to stay in her pjs all day cause I had enough,

@proudlyfromNJ

That's true, mine was a rebel, too Smiley Happy

I can't agree with you on many who are late, though.  Many are ADD/ADHD and diagnosed with that disorder.  They cannot get it together, so to speak, their brains function differently, and that's been known and proven for years now.

On that Chat line, I just put up a book which not only explains the disorder, but suggests how some who deal with lateness can try to train themselves to do better.

There are various online medical sites that explain the disorder and chart how the brain works differently, for anyone interested.

Respected Contributor

I don't send thank you notes.  I say "thank you".  I don't know why that isn't enough for some people.

Honored Contributor

I think learning how to think of others and caring about others feelings, also appreciation for others, leads naturally to continue writing thank you notes when adults, esp. if they were taught about writing thank yous all their lives. And also because they care about who sent them. I say this hopefully for most people!

It doesn't take a genius to know someone would want to know at the very least that the gift arrived, and that feelings would be hurt if no acknowledgement was made, or at least to let them know it arrived!They wouold feel the same way if they gave a gift I'll bet.

I think most people realize that whether they admit it or not.

I especially want to know at least if the gift or check arrived, I mean you never know.Did it fall into the twilight zone or what!

I won't send checks anymore cause after 6 months or so and they still weren't cashed I wondered if they ever arrived. These were 3 different people in different homes! They just hadn't gotten around to going to the bank. Its hard for me to understand that level of , well I'm not sure what it is.

Maybe I shouldn't say that cause I do know people with ADD or have been on drugs and that check could sit there til "kingdom come."

I'm glad that most all in my family including aunts, cousins, nieces and most people I know, still write lovely thank you notes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I went to a graduation open house this spring.  As everyone arrived, they were instructed to address an envelope and place it in a box.  Personally, I think this is a lazy way to send a thank you card but I was thinking to myself that at least everyone WILL receive one.

WRONG....I've yet to receive a thank you note for the gift. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

My kids write thank you notes but I think if it aggravates you when others don't, why keep sending gifts? 

When you change your will are you going to include this irritation? For example, had you graciously recognized and thanked me for the gifts you'd be partaking of my wealth but since you can't be bothered too bad so sad?