Super Contributor

Re: So Disrespectful...People Who Do Not Send "Thank You" Notes

My hubby and I gave some bedroom furniture, in great condition, to a friend. She voiced her appreciation to us the day we moved it all in to her apartment. And I did not think any more about it. Well, several days later we received a thoughtful, cute thank you card. I was deeply touched, especially given our friend has an intellectual disability. I called her and told her about how we appreciated the card. She told us she sent the man who helped us move the furniture a card as well.  I told my husband that despite her mental disability, she is very socially aware. We went and saw her today, and she was getting a package together for a family member who had a baby. Her challenges have not limited her in the gratefulness department at all.

Trusted Contributor

@maestra  I thought the same thing?

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde  I usually look at that, but, since you pointed it out I will be more aware.  Thanks,

Honored Contributor

I don't expect thank you notes except perhaps a wedding. I expect a thank you if I gave a gift - whether it be monetary or otherwise. It may be a tin of holiday cookies.

Just an acknowledgement - it can be a text -or email. I received it and thanks. That's all I want.

I sent a box of assorted goodies to a friend's daughter. She was 14 or 15 at the time. My friend's mom was ill and she spent a lot of tending to her and I felt bad for the daughter who was left alone most of the summer. You need to drive to get anywhere.

In the box were some sweets, nail polish, funky bracelets etc. Her daughter wrote me a very sweet note. I was touched. I called my friend and told her so. She said - I want her to always acknowledge a gift with a note. She isn't entitled to gifts.

Last Halloween - age 17 - I sent her some candy and pretty sea shells I found on vacation. Her mom called me and I heard yell thank you in the bkgd. She was snap chatting with her GF on her little gifts. That was fine also.

Everyone Loves Raymond had an episode when Rob and Amy came back from their honeymoon and Marie was asking when will the Thank You notes be sent out. Too funny.