Trusted Contributor

So Ca mudslides hit like a tsunami

[ Edited ]

The mudslides in the Santa Barbara County have pushed homes off their foundation.  The freeway became a river.  Huge boulders block roadways, even first responders needed rescuing.  Property values will suffer, repair costs through homeowners insurance will cause that to go up.....most homes will not be repairable.  Residents are saying it is worse than the wildfires that terrified them. After surviving that they thought they were safe.  Prayers to all affected. 

Honored Contributor

Re: So Ca mudslides hit like a tsumani

This has been so unbelievable. I feel for everyone affected by a disaster. Has there been anymore news about the little baby? I was trying to tell my husband about it after seeing it on the weather channel and got really emotional. I saw a puppy on a pile of debris. Prayers for all living things  🙏🏼🙏🏼

Trusted Contributor

Re: So Ca mudslides hit like a tsunami

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

This has been so unbelievable. I feel for everyone affected by a disaster. Has there been anymore news about the little baby? I was trying to tell my husband about it after seeing it on the weather channel and got really emotional. I saw a puppy on a pile of debris. Prayers for all living things  🙏🏼🙏🏼

I haven't heard any additional news about the baby. I too am sad for the animals.   Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: So Ca mudslides hit like a tsumani

I pray for them, it's just horrible and I can't believe that so many did not evacuate when they were warned!!

I lived un So. Ca my entire life until 7 years ago..... fires and then rain will usually equal mudsides there.  The problem is horrific when it happens and people don't usually understand that their houses can't protect them from such destructive power.  Woman Sad       

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prayers for hennypenny and anyone else who is adversely affected either by direct contact or by devastating news through friends and relatives.  

Esteemed Contributor

The last I heard there are fifteen confirmed deaths and dozens still missing. It's so incredibly heartbreaking. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Montecito was under mandatory evacuation prior to storm yet only 15% of 9000 population actually heeded the order.  Very sad and stupid!  Yes, insurance will go up (probably for all Californians) but don't worry about their property values; this is very desirable real estate, owned by primarily wealthy people.  Think 911 and Manhattan real estate (it was down but then up, up, up).  Still a very sad situation.

Esteemed Contributor

From what I understand the mudslides were in an area further south that was not under mandatory evacuation orders and not even in the direct area of the Thomas fire burn zone. It was the flooded Montecito creek that sent the deadly mud and boulders flooding into the neighborhood. I've just heard a bit about it on local talk radio shows so I hope my information is correct. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

From what I understand the mudslides were in an area further south that was not under mandatory evacuation orders and not even in the direct area of the Thomas fire burn zone. It was the flooded Montecito creek that sent the deadly mud and boulders flooding into the neighborhood. I've just heard a bit about it on local talk radio shows so I hope my information is correct. 

@SusieQ_2, that is what I understand as well.

And from reports from many homeowners, they just didn't expect such a brief but incredibly intense rain. People don't realize the force involved in mudslides. Plus, they had just undergone evacuations so recently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

From what I understand there were both mandatory and voluntary evacuation orders. @SusieQ_2