Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, Wales has the most castles in the UK.  This one is Ruthin castle.  We stayed in Ruthin and went to a Medieval dinner there.  Servers and royalty in costume, the food was what you would have had at a royal table during that time period.

It also functions, in part, as a hotel now.

Image result for wales ruthin castle

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Vivian

The village is known as Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The name means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool of St Tysilio of the red cave" in Welsh.

I can pronounce parts of the name, LOL. 

Gadzooks!  Can ya spell that without looking?  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

The Midieval dinner setting:

Image result for ruthin castle medieval dinner

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Vivian

The village is known as Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The name means "St Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the fierce whirlpool of St Tysilio of the red cave" in Welsh.

I can pronounce parts of the name, LOL. 

Gadzooks!  Can ya spell that without looking?  Smiley Wink

No, LOL @chickenbutt  I can tell you that the ending syllables sound like someone needs to clear their throat Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Reminds me a little of German.  I used to speak German and the more I got familiar with it, the less I felt like it was such a 'throat-clearing' language and it had kind of a cool flow to it.

It's a drag when you learn languages (I also spoke Spanish) and end up forgetting them.    It's so true about - use it or lose it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Reminds me a little of German.  I used to speak German and the more I got familiar with it, the less I felt like it was such a 'throat-clearing' language and it had kind of a cool flow to it.

It's a drag when you learn languages (I also spoke Spanish) and end up forgetting them.    It's so true about - use it or lose it.  Smiley Happy

Same here, @chickenbutt

I was a French major for a while, but also took some German and Spanish.  Sadly, I rarely used any of it but now and then phrases come to mind all on their own.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

My father and grandmother spoke Welsh fluently but I don't remember it.  The Welsh-Americans then were basically endogamous, they mostly married other Welsh immigrants, so they spoke both languages and carried on traditions from both countries.

Honored Contributor

The blue is amazing.  Yes Homegirl, it is stunning!!!