Honored Contributor

Re: Snow people, did you use a toboggan, a wooden sled or a flying saucer for winter fun?

Oh goodness @qualitygal what a great thread! . . . it was Flying Saucers for me and man did I love those things . . . didn't matter that they got all dented up running into heaven knows what and trying to pry your probably now frozen gloves into those probably now frozen rope straps but I couldn't wait to give it one more try! . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Snow people, did you use a toboggan, a wooden sled or a flying saucer for winter fun?

Growing up in late 50's & early 60's, one year we took a toboggan out to the country and this certain bar/restaurant on Channel Lake had a toboggan slide that went out to the frozen lake.  We had so much fun.  Our parents, aunts & uncles also joined in with my brothers & cousins.  In our neighborhood, we used a regular wooden sled.  Back then, our winters were long with snow always on the ground and cold and you could enjoy winter sportsCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I used a flexible flyer too... Remember deciding if you wanted to use your feet to steer or lie down and use your hands?  It was a little scarier to go down head first.

Respected Contributor

We live in the country of western PA.  Around the house we used flying saucers.  My uncled worked with fiberglass and made them for us.  The road past our house was rarely traveled.  We would take our sleds and go to the top and sled down till we stopped about 1/2 mile.  Still live on the same road, but no way, unless it was closed to traffic could you sled on it now.  I miss the old days sometimes.

Honored Contributor

We only had sleds.   One year Santa brought us 2 of the longest sleds we had every seen!   All 3 of us could sit on one, so I think they were probably 5 ft sleds.   We were outside on those sleds all the time, and had tracks on every hill around us.   

Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Oh my.  We dared use the metal saucers that had a rope handle on two sides.  They would get dented up from hitting hard things when the snow would wear thin, but boy were they fun!

@Sweetbay magnoliaI had one like this only it was made from hard plastic.

I loved it!

Sometimes I wonder how I am still alive using that thing!Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Remember Clark going downhill in Christmas vacation?

Hilarious!Smiley Very Happy

https://youtu.be/bSdm_eA1Css

Esteemed Contributor

We had sleds, saucers, & a  toboggan & also loved ice skating at the local rink & on the pond at our folk's cabin.

We also built snowmen & igloos.  I still love snow & it is snowing right now.  2-4" tonight & another 2-4" by Monday.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a large family with two wooden sleds.  The slope was only about 6 houses away.  What fun!  THEN, the flying saucer aluminum disk was the present of the year (I think from WHAMMO, iconic c. 1960 merchandiser).

Oh, my, we each got one.  They ran sleeker and faster than the sleds with runners and we all had an individual saucer for Christmas, even my 4 year old sister. 

That Christmas was Independence day! We jogged down to the slope near the elementary school whenever we had time.  Plus the subsequemt months from January -- March were ultra snowy.  What a nice winter that was.  Almost as good as the earlier spring when I learned how to climb the trees in my backyard.

How did any of us survive childhood??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

a wooden/steel Flexible Flyer sled... 8)

Product Details