Esteemed Contributor

Re: Snow in the Rockies..do you think it will be an early winter?

I live in the northeast.I hate winter & I particularly hate snow.It means icey treacherous driving conditions.Which means I spend my time worrying about my loved ones driving.

Honored Contributor

I saw snow flurries on the 4th of July, when I was a kid. It was just a few flurries, but it was snow, and it was cold. Everyone was at the parade in shorts, and this sudden storm came up. Back then ,they really didn't have much in the way of long range predictions, for the general public. We went home ,and mom turned the furnace on

Honored Contributor

In the early 1970's DH and I, both teachers, were fortunate enough to be able to traverse the US pulling a travel trailer.  Those trips were not just fun.  I learned so much about the people, the places, the weather, the food, and so much more literally from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

From those trips, I remember parking our pickup next to a snowbank in July, making snowballs in early August, and more than one park ranger reminding us campers to be wary if we planned to travel the mountains after mid-September because winter might be chasing us.

I don't think I understand what "early winter" means to those who live in the Western mountains.  Is there just one date?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I don't know much about meteorology, but my guess is that is an average time range and anything  beyond that, is considered early or late

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I'm in Ohio and it is supposed to be 80 today and we are supposed to reach near 90, if not 90+ Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week.  

I just hope we don't completely skip fall and go right to winter.  They said on the local weather last night that by October 24, our normal high is only 58.  I didn't realize it was that low for that time of the year.  

We have one more camping trip the second weekend of October.  I hope it's nice.  Last year it was freezing and the year before it was hot.  You just never know. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our area is having an ENDLESS SUMMER this year...Woman Tongue Im just hoping for some cooler weather instead of the mid 90's....when that cold front dumps snow on the Rockies, it will only reduce our temperatures by a few degrees.....Oh how I WISH for an EARLY "WINTER" here!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's still summer-like here in PA..upper 80's and 90's continuing into next week.

Last year we skipped fall altogether and went right from summer into winter.  The trees never even changed color and the leaves didn't fall.  

I'd like to have a crisp,cool fall this year lasting until April.  I am not a winter person.  Winter is cold and snowy with the worse months being January and February.  

I hope winter weather is not early this year.

Honored Contributor

Good start on the base layer at Big Sky.  But for me it's still i the mid 90's and no rain for weeks.  I don't are as much about the heat as I do the lack of rain.

Honored Contributor

there is snow coming to our mountains this weekend here in WA state----several feet on some passes, I hear---way early for us.

Esteemed Contributor

It snows out west starting in July depending on where you live. My husband is from there and it's a running joke about me in my tennis shoes up to my ankles in snow. The big snow ususally starts around October so it is a bit early. The ski resorts will be happy.The weather channel is predicting a strong winter for all of us.