Honored Contributor

A group of whale watchers nearly missed the moment of a lifetime when a sneaky whale popped up right behind their boat - as they looked in the opposite direction.

The group were pictured waiting patiently with their cameras poised, but very nearly missed the spectacular encounter by looking the wrong way while the whale surfaced a matter of feet away from their boat. 

Fortunately, the sightseers turned around in their boat just in the nick of time to spot the huge humpback whale, before she disappeared back into the ocean's depths, sparking scenes of celebration on the skiff.

Photos taken from another vessel show the stealthy whale poking its rostrum out from beneath the water as the group face forward, pointing their cameras at the open ocean ahead of them in anticipation (pictured)

But before the creature could disappear into the sea again, the whale watchers spotted her at the last second, with a second photograph showing their jubilation at the close encounter (pictured)

More amazing photos here:

It's behind you! Hilarious moment sneaky whale pops up behind sightseers as they look the wrong way ...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The whale probably just wondered what everyone was looking at. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

LOL!

He popped up thinking, "what's everybody lookin' at?".

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

They need a bigger boat.  

Esteemed Contributor

Wonder why the whale didn't just upset the boat?  Are they aware of their power?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@yellowrose 

I was thinkin' the same thing, if I was stalking a huge sperm whale, I would be on a MUCH BIGGER boat, LOL!

Honored Contributor

Re: Sneaky Whale!

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining wrote:

Wonder why the whale didn't just upset the boat?  Are they aware of their power?

@Still Raining 

They are one of the ocean's gentle giants, they have no desire to harm.

Any 'accidents' involving sperm whales, are just that, accidents.

Usually it's because they surface without knowing there's a boat there or even knowing what a boat is.

Honored Contributor

That is a terrific picture and so exciting!!!  I love whales and all sea life as well as being an animal advocate.  Sadly some whale species are still being hunted and this must stop.  Every time I read about any species being pushed to extinction it breaks my heart.

This was quite an experience for the people in the boat and yes, a bigger boat would have been welcome!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

The photo was probably taken with a telephoto lens which made the boat appear foreshortened.  It's bigger than it appears. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom   Amazing at how close the whale was to the boat, thrill indeed!