Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We knew a lady who had a bigger house than ours.  Every time she came in our little house she said "Oh I love your house!  It's so cozy."

In a case like those we are talking about the best question is "Why does it matter to me what she says?"  That's what I would think. . . Consider the source and don't worry about it.  

Ah, yes, @Sooner, you gotta love those passive-aggressive jobs. Some have them honed to perfection.

I had a "friend" who was uncanny in her ability to figure out a person's weak areas or concerns she thought they might have and then so innocently bring them up or ask about them -- ad nauseam.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Some people have no social skills....unable to relate to people in a polite way.....sounds like your neighbor has is one of them. I would just ignore her comments when you can't avoid them. I worked with someone like this for several years....guess they are unhappy people .
Honored Contributor

@grandma r

When I’m on my last nerve with someone like that I play dumb, And say, ‘Oh, aren’t you a SWEETIE to say that, You’ve just MADE MY DAY.’     

Followeed by by a million watt, but believable smile 😃.

Really gets under their skin, if they were really trying to get your goat.  if not, you may sound a bit wacky, but not mean.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Since she's a neighbor, I wouldn't confront her.  I would play on her words.  You look like a beauty queen = Aren't you fancy.  Thank you Sue, I appreciate your kind words.  Kill her with kindness.  😉

Good answer.  If she can't ruffle your feathers any longer, she'll stop. (Or not, then you know how she is and you'll have her #).  They said you can't have an argument, if only one person is there.  

Honored Contributor

Preds is not snarky.  Ok, who are you and what have you done with her? Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Just tossing this out here....I am thinking the fact that her HUSBAND is very complimentary to you and he does NOT do this to his on wife is hurting her deep inside and she is reacting in a negative way to you and others.  It is sad....perhaps you could try and see that perhaps this is the motivation behind her comments.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, ladies.  All good advice!

Respected Contributor

Since she does it to everyone, this attitude is on her....just go about your business, keep your graciousness and smile with your head held high!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Preds is not snarky.  Ok, who are you and what have you done with her? Woman Wink

Ha ... You just thought you knew me @qualitygal.  I can snark with the best of them.  I've even trained people in the Art of Snark.  LOL Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Re: Snarky Comments

[ Edited ]

My mother-in-law was like this and I ignored her....went about my business and conducted my life as usual.  I was taught to respect my elders--and I did just that ignoring her comments and/or her telling me what I should do.  Many times the snarky remarks were in front of others, including my ex-husband; no one ever said anything to her! She went to my mother in attempt to push an issue, my mother told her I had a mind of my own and could not be manipulated.  My mom was good with lttle tidbits of wisdom which I never understood until I grew up.  Over the years in many situations, my memory has been flooded with her wise words! What a great gift of guidance she provided! I knew a situation in MIL's youth was the driver for her insecurity and comments to me and other females, I felt for her and ignored her.