Respected Contributor

Smokey Bear was created 80 years ago during WWII to make people aware of the destruction of our forests.  The nearby village of Capitan, NM is hosting Smokey Bear Days May 3-4.

I can't do events with my limited mobility, so we went to the Museum and Park ahead of the event. These photos were taken with the permission of the museum staff. In fact, they welcome photos.

"Only You" is best known. Smokey was a drawing. The artist who painted Smokey will have his work on display beginning May 2 for two weeks.

IMG_1348.jpeg

In 1950 a six-week old cub was found by firefighters whimpering and clinging to a tree in the burned forest of the Capitan Gap fire.

IMG_1331.jpeg

The crew took the little cub to their base camp where Game Warden Ray Bell began tending to his needs. Bell, a pilot, flew the injured cub to a veterinarian in Santa Fe for treatment. This photo shows the little cub exploring the plane before the flight.

IMG_1332.jpeg

After receiving treatment, Ray Bell took the cub to his home. Bell's wife and daughter coaxed the little guy into eating by placing a mixture of honey, milk, and baby food on their fingers. He ate the food from their fingers. This is Judy Bell with the cub.

IMG_1337.jpeg

Smokey lived with the Bell family until he became a bit of a handful. Discussions between multiple agencies proposed moving the cub to Washington, DC to the National Zoo. He  was officially named Smokey Bear and became the living ambassador of forest fire prevention.

IMG_1339.jpeg

Smokey was retired when he was 25 years old (that is 70 human years.).

IMG_1349.jpeg

Smokey was buried on the grounds of his museum. A boulder was brought from the mountain area where he was found and used to mark his grave.

IMG_1354.jpeg

Smokey Bear was one of the most successful marketing campaigns ever launched. The following are photos in and around the museum area. For some reason many of my favorites would not load.

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

Smokey Bear is loved by the Capitan community. They have spent months planning this weekend's celebration of 80 years.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the story and pics! Much appreciated,

Happy First Day Of May Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook, Tumblr,  Pinterest, and Twitter | For facebook

Honored Contributor

@On It Thanks for the photos and background information on Smokey!

I can remember the campaign as a child featuring Smokey but I never knew that it was based on a real bear. What a heartwarming story!

Honored Contributor

@On It   "Smokey Bear was created 80 years ago during WWII"

"In 1950 a six-week old cub was found by firefighters"

I am a tad confused.  If Smokey was 6 weeks in 1950 he would have been created 74 years ago. 

Was there another Smokey The Bear during WWII since the war ended by 1945?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac The original Smokey Bear was created in 1944 as part of an ad campaign to reduce the number of forest fires which destroyed much needed lumber. He was a two-dimensional character seen in,posters and paintings.

In 1950 the little injured bear was found. After he recovered and began to flourish, he needed a more suitable home. The Forest Service, New Mexico agencies, and zoo officials reached an agreement to move him to the National Zoo. He was officially named Smokey Bear after the ad campaign bear.

There are two Smokey Bear symbols, the one on posters and TV ads and the little cub who lived at the zoo. The original drawing bear is 80 years old.

Valued Contributor

I didn't know the history of Smokey Bear and found your post very interesting. I can still remember the advice of Smokey Bear. Thank you for sharing the pictures and information @On It 

Respected Contributor

I forgot about the poster showing this weekend's events. It depicts images of both Smokeys. Smokey is celebrated daily in the small village of Capitan, but they put together a fun weekend this year.

IMG_1297.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I saw him at a zoo in Washington DC in the 60's.  Don't know why, but we always called him Smokey the Bear.

It's a good reminder to all to be careful.  Unfortunately, those who carelessly start forest fires are aware of the dangers, but, they're still careless.  Devastating wild/forest fires.

Honored Contributor

@On It   Thank you for clearing that up.  And, thanks for the memories!  Interesting story.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm There was a song written about Smokey Bear. The songwriters added "The" to work out the lyrics. Here is a photo of the song that has caused confusion about his name.

IMG_1347.jpeg