Respected Contributor

Re: Smoke From Nova Scotia Wildfires Enters NE USA

@willomenia wrote:
Up near Boston you can see the haze, but I really think they're exaggerating the smoke. Maybe in Maine, but in the Boston area not so much. I really don't think New Jersey and Pennsylvania are to be that affected.

Dear Forecast Deniers:  Here's the current hazardous air quality map.

Screenshot (94).png 

Honored Contributor

For anyone interested, this dot gov link will take to a smoke and fire map in real time. Just put in your location and it will show you smoke plumes and their intensity in your area. Zoom in/out and you can go anywhere from coast to coast.

https://fire.airnow.gov/

Respected Contributor

I wasn't listening to the news yesterday and I kept wondering why I smelt something burning. I thought it wasn't cool enough for a fireplace fire but couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. I'm headed into Manhattan today for a matinee so we'll see how it smells there. I'm just glad I didn't turn the dryer on, I would have had a full fledged panic attack if I smelled burning while it was on.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

There is another website where you can get an exact air quality reading in realtime, given in  'Air Quality Index'  (AQI) readings for your area. Just enter you city and if your city is not listed then choose the closest one to you.

AirPlumeLabs dot com

Respected Contributor

People on the West Coast have dealt with several large California fires the past few years and the heavy smoke & tiny ash with them. The sky there took on an orangey-gray color, the smell was strong, and we were told to keep windows closed. Some people stayed indoors on days when the intensity could affect breathing and their throat.

I hope it doesn't get that bad in the NE.

Honored Contributor

We've recently had a smokey atmosphere that meteorologists said was from fires in Western Canada. Last summer, most of the time, we had smoke from California.  It doesn't hamper outdoor activity for most people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

For anyone interested, this dot gov link will take to a smoke and fire map in real time. Just put in your location and it will show you smoke plumes and their intensity in your area. Zoom in/out and you can go anywhere from coast to coast.

https://fire.airnow.gov/

Thank you @SilleeMee      The red spike into UNHEALTHY on the far right is 11:00 pm last night, exactly when I started experiencing symptoms. I could have had a career as a canary in a coal mine. Right now it's heading up again.

Screenshot (96).png

Honored Contributor

That's awful. @PickyPicky3 

A few weeks ago Denver was ranked in the top-5 worst air quality cities IN THE WORLD. Alberta fires caused smoke to travel down to Colorado and b/c of the geological and atmospheric conditions of the area, the smoke accumulated there. I'm in Colorado Springs and it was really bad here, too.

Respected Contributor

OFF Topic  @SilleeMee   16 months ago a young family moved into my community from Colorado Springs to start fabulous new jobs. As soon as their lease was up they moved back, without jobs. The father said they couldn't adapt to life here.  

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

OFF Topic  @SilleeMee   16 months ago a young family moved into my community from Colorado Springs to start fabulous new jobs. As soon as their lease was up they moved back, without jobs. The father said they couldn't adapt to life here.  

@PickyPicky3 

I think I can understand their feelings. I moved to Texas when I got a job offer there. But after a year I felt like I didn't belong there. Everything about the area was alien to me and I couldn't make myself feel comfortable no matter what I did so I came back here even without a job waiting for me. Same can be said for people who come to Colorado and find it hard to adapt to life here also. Lots of people move out of Colorado, more than there are moving in.