Esteemed Contributor

Smithfield - Iconic American brand?

I just heard the vendor for Smithfield hams say it is an iconic American brand.  I don't think of it that way since the company is Chinese owned.  I just think of food security when I think of China.

Super Contributor

Re: Smithfield - Iconic American brand?

Oh barf.....Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

What a nauseating thought!  It's a horrible company and I'm saddened and disappointed that QVC seems to be selling for them, more and more.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

i am sure those employees that work in the facilities in 26 states consider it an american company.....and need those jobs.

Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American[3] company and the world's largest pork producer and processor.[4]

Headquartered in Smithfield, Virginia, it runs facilities in 26 U.S. states, including the largest slaughterhouse and meat-processing plant in the world, located in Tar Heel, North Carolina.[4] It also has operations in Mexico and in 10 European countries, with a global total of over 46,000 employees and an annual revenue of $13 billion.[5] As of 2015 it is majority owned by Chinese-based and state-owned holding company Shanghui International Holdings Ltd.[6]

(via wikipedia)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45Thanks for that info about Smithfield in the US. I don't mind that it's a China held company, but I don't want to eat pork raised and exported from China. I think Smithfield needs to let the public know where the meat they are selling in the US is being grown and processed, they could include that on their packaging.

Trusted Contributor

I find their products extremely salty.

Regular Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I think they wanted sales.  It good to do one's background research as to who owns a company/corp.  I do try not to support items/products from China. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I don't trust Smithfield anymore.

I have " ham suspicions" now lol

I haven't had this dinner type ham in years anyway.

It did look good only because I am hungry.

Valued Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I just heard the vendor for Smithfield hams say it is an iconic American brand.  I don't think of it that way since the company is Chinese owned.  I just think of food security when I think of China.

As has been stated Smithfield originated in VA but was bought out by another country.  My daughter's and my brother's company and many others in this area have been purchased by Corporations over seas but they still manufacture the same way in the USA   Same processes are used and the same sales teams, etc.  All that changed is where the monthly reports are sent.  Many of the Breweries have been purchased by over seas companies also but the way the brew is made has not changed.  

Not saying there has not been a change with Smithfield as I don't know anyone that is in management there but I can't personally tell a difference with purchases.  

Thankfully, unlike the textile industries these over seas Corps have left the manufacturing in the USA.