Respected Contributor

Smartsun wristbands turn pink when it's time to get out of the sun...

<h1 id="ar_title">Smartsun wristband turns pink when it's time to make for the shade</h1>

By Nick Lavars

May 8, 2014

Ultraviolet light causes a chemical reaction in the Smartsun wristband, alerting the weare...

Ultraviolet light causes a chemical reaction in the Smartsun wristband, alerting the wearer to when they have had too much sun

Balancing a healthy amount of time in the sun while avoiding overexposure to its harmful UV rays can be a a difficult task. Indeed, the challenge of finding this happy medium has produced a bevy of of UV-detecting wristbands, such as the UVeBand and the UVA+Sunfriend. Smartsun is the latest to join the ranks of such devices, alerting users to dangerous levels of UV exposure by changing color from yellow to pink when it's time to head indoors.

Though it has just made it to market, the Smartsun UV monitor has been some time in the making, having undergone two years of testing and development at Scotland's University of Strathclyde. It was here that its inventors, Professor Andrew Mills and Dr Michael McFarlane, developed the device and the chemical reaction that causes it to change color as it detects ultraviolet light.

The Smartsun band is designed for a single use, each beginning its life a yellow color, then shifting to a beige when approaching the UV threshold and, finally, becoming a fleshy pink when you need to cover up.

What causes this transformation is an acid-release agent that reacts to the levels of ultraviolet light. This in turn affects the pH levels in the material, causing a dye to respond and trigger the change in color. The company says that if applying sunscreen to your skin, it should also be applied to the band, as the levels of protection will be better aligned and it will take longer to change color as a result.

Smartsun has been taken from the lab-testing to the marketplace by Intellego Technologies, with packs of seven bands available for £6.99 (around US$12) apiece.

Source: University of Strathclyde, Smartsun

Honored Contributor

Re: Smartsun wristbands turn pink when it's time to get out of the sun...

Thats pretty cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I know. I want one.

Respected Contributor

Cool. I don't need one tho. I know when it's time to get out of the sun. My Irish ancestry gives about 6 minutes during peak hours! Seriously...I did say 6 minutes. Then it's off for shade and sunscreen. For me, it's the age old battle of which is more important, protecting my skin and staying in the shade/using sunscreen or protecting my bones with Vitamin D but allowing my skin to be damaged. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

-Kalli

Respected Contributor

Kali...I take these.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't need a wristband to tell me when to get out of the sun. In a very few minutes I burn.

Respected Contributor

I think those are a GREAT idea...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

I avoid the sun and protect myself from it.Smiley Happy This might be good for someone who doesn't though.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

or a wristwatch works too...

Respected Contributor

i think they would be great for the kids when they are outside playing........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo