Honored Contributor

Re: Smallest at the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I have adopted two elephants at the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.  I absolutely love the work they do! Heart

@Caaareful Shopper    Me too!!!!  I adopted Luggard and Eneshka.  Luggard stole my heart the moment I saw him limping along trying to keep up with the others.  He hasn't grown as quickly as the others so I am a little concerned about him.  I haven't gotten an update on him lately. Smiley Sad

@Georgiagrama  ❤️❤️❤️ I adopted Naseku since she was three, she's six years old now.  This year I made a 2nd adoption for any elephant the Trust chooses who needs the care added to them.  It could be any of them, so it's wonderful to see them all!  

Have you searched for updates on Luggard on their website? It will tell you how they are doing..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper  i searched and have not seen any updates on Luggard.   I adopted Roho.(Swahili for spirit.  And I love his name)  He's always been my favorite. I think because he's so mischievous.  And full of himself too.  He basks in all the attention he gets from the other elephants.  And gets jealous when he doesn't!  t's amazing how you gradually get to know their personalities.

Respected Contributor

What a blessing this organization is for elephants and rhinos!  I had no idea all the great work that they do!  Thank you to all for sharing your experience.  I love supporting organizations who care for animals!Heart

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper  i searched and have not seen any updates on Luggard.   I adopted Roho.(Swahili for spirit.  And I love his name)  He's always been my favorite. I think because he's so mischievous.  And full of himself too.  He basks in all the attention he gets from the other elephants.  And gets jealous when he doesn't!  t's amazing how you gradually get to know their personalities.

@songbird  Roho sounds absolutely precious!  It's truly amazing that they can overcome such trauma to then develop their personalities and ultimately thrive back into the wild!  

Try their website, sheldrick wildlife trust . org (I wrote it all out with spaces since we cannot include links here, I don't think).  I entered Luggard on the Meet the Orphans link.  His full bio is there.  What an incredible story and elephant he is!

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@songbird   I absolutely adore Roho!!  His little spirit is indomitable!  I very nearly adopted him as well as Luggard, but with Eneska's trunk just barely dangling on, I just had to go with her.  I'm a sucker for the, I guess you could, say disabled orphans. 

I have also been searching for updates on Luggard, but the last photo and update showed him as much smaller than his "herd" mates, although they did say his mates were very protective of him, I can't help but be concerned for him. 

It's amazing how emotionally attached you can get isn't it?  By the way, thank you for adopting!

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@songbird  Roho sounds absolutely precious!  It's truly amazing that they can overcome such trauma to then develop their personalities and ultimately thrive back into the wild!  

Try their website, sheldrick wildlife trust . org (I wrote it all out with spaces since we cannot include links here, I don't think).  I entered Luggard on the Meet the Orphans link.  His full bio is there.  What an incredible story and elephant he is!

@Caaareful Shopper   I know!  I just had to adopt Luggard from the first moment I saw him struggling to keep up, but so determined.  You just can't help but fall in love with them.  If you have a moment, be sure and check out poor little Eneska. Her trunk was nearly severed by a trap before they found her.  Very sad.  She is my other adopteee.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird   @Caaareful Shopper 

I just want to thank you both for helping Sheldrick Wildlife. If you haven't already, you should read the book about Dame Sheldrick and how it all got started.  What an amazing woman she was!! 

Also, it is always fun and a pleasure to discover "like minds" on these boards and especially when they have compassionate hearts!!  Heart

I actually don't believe they will be able to release either of my elephants back into the wild with their problems, so I will more than likely be sending money for them the rest of my life.  (At my age, they will more than likely outlive me Smiley Very Happy)

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

OH, what a darling!  How he made me smile and giggle.  I hope he does well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama   Oh Roho thinks he's hot stuff!   I can imagine how he'll be once he starts going after the girls!

Elephants have a large part of the brain for "empathy"  They huddle protectively over the new little ones.  Stroking them with their trunks.  It's just that in Roho's case....it went to his head.

Roho   He's my boy, but I have to share him with many thousands others.