Honored Contributor

Small animal rescue LANDED!

[ Edited ]

ETA 2/1/22 7:30 PST

Animals are being offloaded at Vancouver airport. People worldwide are watching the story unfold and hoping/guessing there will be a movie about these heroes.

There is video at SPCA International (public) Facebook site.

------------

Finally, almost 300 cats and dogs are on their way to safety.

American veterinarian Charlotte Maxwell-Jones, with the help of several other animal rescue organizations, arranged, administered, monitored, and otherwise made possible this evacuation from Afghanistan.

They were all set to leave but lost their plane back in August. They persevered with what they call Mission Possible. 

This week's flight is a cargo plane that left Afghanistan yesterday and just today left its first layover in Turkey. It's now on the way to another layover in Iceland, after which it heads to Vancouver, Canada.

UPDATE: The plane landed safely in Iceland at 5:17 am GMT after an almost eight hour flight from Ankara, Turkey. 

SECOND UPDATE: Plane just left Iceland and is due to land in Vancouver at 6 pm PST. Today, Feb. 1.

Third Update: The plane is safely on the ground in Vancouver. I hope anyone who's interested will follow on the KSAR Facebook page.

Some news agencies have picked up the story, too.

Each layover includes cage cleaning, food and water checks, cuddles, and vet checks.

Some dogs and cats will be reunited with their owners while the rest will be adopted out with the help of local rescue organizations.

Charlotte is staying in Kabul for now since they are still caring for other animals and taking in animals in need. Her Facebook account (Kabul Small Animal Rescue) is public - you don't have to join Facebook.

This is Bea, a dog who Charlotte helped recover from a damaged leg and who, as a puppy, was the dog Charlotte was holding when they were denied boarding six months ago. Bea is on her way to Canada now with stronger legs!

9F12017F-1815-4598-A975-2E40B5220483.jpeg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Small animal rescue underway!

Safe travels to the folks bringing these animals to safety, they are doing God's work.

Respected Contributor

Bless our animal friends and their better angels.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach so appreciate your update on this wonderful work and all who participated. I cannot wait to get back out there on our little local effort. It's hard to imagine the coordinated effort to pull this off on the international level but all the reason to celebrate these accomplishments.

This is absolutely a win-win for all...

Honored Contributor

Bless all of those who help the helpless!!!!!

6 Signs You're Being Visited by Your Guardian Angel | Signs Your Guardian  Angel is Near - Beliefnet

Honored Contributor

Wonderful news!  I'm wondering about our service dogs.  There has been conflicting information from the military and elsewhere.  

Some say their dogs were left there.  The Taliban said they would use them.  

The military said all were brought home, but at this point, I don't know what to believe.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Wonderful news!  I'm wondering about our service dogs.  There has been conflicting information from the military and elsewhere.  

Some say their dogs were left there.  The Taliban said they would use them.  

The military said all were brought home, but at this point, I don't know what to believe.  

You don't know whether to believe the US military over the Taliban??

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

As I have said many times before, these people who give their time and effort to help animals are heroes.  Certainly this journey is filled with dedicated compassionate giving individuals who didn't give up and now their hard work has paid off. 

This uplifting good news makes me feel hope, makes me realize there are plenty of good decent people out there and these are the stories we should stress everyday.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee 

KSAR had no military dogs.

They did have some military private contractor's dogs. Those contractor dogs were part of the group released from cages back in August at the part of the airport that had been used for housing.

Charlotte's group was able to recover some of the released dogs, but not all.

Military dogs were not part of that group.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Foxxee 

KSAR had no military dogs.

They did have some military private contractor's dogs. Those contractor dogs were part of the group released from cages back in August at the part of the airport that had been used for housing.

Charlotte's group was able to recover some of the released dogs, but not all.

Military dogs were not part of that group.

@GingerPeach 

Happy to hear some of the contractor's dogs were rescued.  Thanks.  Hope they can get more.