Honored Contributor

Re: Sleep masks and headaches

@NYCLatinaMe 

Thank you but no room for any more furniture, small suburban NYC apt. I will figure it out and try to move on Smiley Happy

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@I am still oxox 

Maybe not brilliant, but some ideas...

My mom had partial hip replacement surgery, and the doctor prescribed a hospital style bed where the head can be raised.  Medicare sent it without charge.  You may want to explore that, maybe sleeping on a sofa is the problem.

I have been using a sleeping mask for years, and they don't cause me headaches.  Could it be you are putting the mask on too tight?  I used to buy cheap ones. They left marks on my face in the mornng, even when loose.  I switched to silk, and even those are not all the same.  I tried several.  My favorite is from Amazon, "Anti Aging Sleep Mask with Copper Ion Technology by Sleep Fountain".  It is lightly puffy with a little lip at the bottom inside to block light. That little lip makes a difference, the mask can be looser.  I recommend.

I get headaches from environmental factors.  I can recommend, also from Amazon, "HEADACHE HAT The Original -Wearable Flexible Three Row Ice Pack for Migraines & Headache Relief Eye Mask Long Lasting Cooling Ice Therapy Stress Relief Tension Relief".  I have worn to sleep, put over my other mask, with good results, but I don't necessarily recommend that you wear to sleep, the "ice cubes" in the HEADACHE HAT can feel bumpy.  But maybe try it at other times and then see.  I feel it provides great relief.

I also feel I sleep better when I keep my head high.

Hope you feel better soon.  Take care.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox Maybe you can still try to raise your head if you are not doing that.  Hope the other ideas may help.

Trusted Contributor

Check your blood pressure -

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure your mask is not too tight. I must sleep in one every night and replace regularly when the elastic on it gets too loose, but when it is new I do need to stretch it a bit or I will wake up with a headache. Also make sure your mask is not too heavy. That can cause a headache also. Best wishes on your recovery.

I must wear one nightly due to a medical problem that causes extreme photosensitivity. I tried several fancy ones and finally just bought the ones at the dollar tree. I make sure to have several in my nightstand. 

Respected Contributor

Maybe its to tight?  Mine took several adjustments to get it right.