Trusted Contributor

Re: Skilled Trades now want a diagnostic fee....

$99 and up just to walk in the door. It is not applied to the job/refunded in any way. This is MD and I know Baltimore Gas and Electric have been doing it for at least 15 years.
"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Some people abuse the "free estimates" and cost contractors a lot of money. If you talk to contractors, you'll hear of them getting called to give a free estimate on the same job with minor changes multiple times. Each time they have to do a new write-up on the job and the expected costs. 

What tends to happen is they'll call for an estimate on something and decide it's too expensive. They'll make a minor change here or there ("Let's replace this French door with a slider instead") and call for a new estimate. The new estimate will still be too high, and they'll make another change here or there and call for another new estimate. It can get very annoying and expensive for a contractor to give free estimates. 

Local contractors who still give a free estimate (there aren't a lot) limit it to one. After that, you must pay for each new estimate.

Now that, is something I've never heard of.  I wouldn't be dumb enough to call the same contractor more than once to get an estimate.  The issue at hand is trying to get the best price and your job done as quickly as possible by the most skilled.  Not to have one company come back and forth to answer your questions.  I've never done that.  I know how to talk and relay what my concerns and needs are.  If while we are discussing the work that needs to be done they come up with an idea that would benefit me over something I was thinking of doing, I'd research it, then ask they next contractor about it.

Simply put, fixing HVAC work is pretty straight forward.  Either you want heat or not.  Either you want your air conditioning fixed or not.  All of that changing your mind and calling them back is not something I've ever heard of or am familiar with where I live @gardenman 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

Here it's just a "service call". It's deducted if they get the repair job. But if they drive to your house, spend time examining and trouble-shooting an appliance, a leak, a failure or a breakdown of something they must be paid for their time. If you contract them to fix or replace it then the service call becomes full services performed and no charge for the visit.

No one works for free and every tradesman is trained and using professional time. I agree $145 is an excessive charge. But it is still expertise you pay for when a skilled tradesman arrives. I can't expect an expert to show up and give advice or estimate a cost to fix/replace and not pay anything for that time spent.

I usually face a basic service call fee of $65-85. But I don't expect someone to drive here, spend a half hour or so, possibly with tools or instruments for testing and evaluation, and then walk out with just a thank you or "I'll call you when I decide".

This service call minimum fee tends to discourage consumers from shopping around for competitive estimates since every service call gets the fee except for the one you hire for the job. I find it common and acceptable. But not for $145. 

@gizmogalI'm well aware that they don't work for free.  Many of them used to come out and give an estimate w/o the exchange of $$.  Most times whoever I called, got the work to begin with.  I do my due diligence when hiring people to come into my home to fix major things like plumbing, electrical and things of that nature.

Right now it is only plumbers.  Every single one in my area will tell me there is a fee for walking through the door.  This has started since Covid.

It's supply & demand.   More plumbing problems than plumbers to fix them.   Maybe to discourage trivial visits.   Years ago most homeowners could do their own repairs, this new generation doesn't know a screwdriver from a wrench.

I gladly pay for expert opinion and a written estimate.

I'm beginning to see that to be the case in my area.  There are only about three regular plumbers I call.  I call them for leaks or a main line snake out once in a while.  Then there are plumbers that do HVAC work for heating needs.  Hot water heater and boiler issues.  

I don't get a written estimate from the HVAC people that I called.  I get a fee for them walking in the door + the cost to do the job they think is needed.

Written estimates I get typically, when there is a large job involved.  That's not necessary for what I need @software 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

diagnostic fees, service call fees, minimum charge fees....... these are nothing really new where i live.

we had a refrigerator repair recently and it was a standard $90 to come in and diagnose and then they came back to install the part and fix the issue. auto mechanics check out your engines and other issues and around here the diagnostic charges begin at $125 and go up from there. it takes time and effort to give you an estimate, pull things out, use the diagnostic tools, figure out a price.

for our home we have whole house coverage on appliances, hvac, plumbing, electrical. we pay for that yearly. even with that they charge us $50 for a service call anytime they come out. 

the only "free estimates" i have seen are for things like roof repair, driveway repair, lawn/landscaping services, home improvements.

I haven't asked for an "estimate."  I'm asking for work to be done.  When they walk in the door for the issue I just had there is no major things to consider that warrant a right up and a 72nd hour right to cancel.  That's not the case I'm speaking to @sunshine45 .

I had a fairly simple issue that needed to be fixed with my boiler.  I can't do it, but I know what needed to be done.  I paid for the walk in + his cost to rectify it.  No written estimates.  It's not that big of a job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

The key wording here is "Skilled Trades". The term "blue collar" is no longer appropriate They can call the shots now because there are so few people going into these lines of business. 

A former school pal of mine went to Vo-Tech and was the plumber in the neighborhood I grew up in. My mom was a client of his. He retired 10 years before anyone else and his hourly wages were more than some of our fellow classmates who were doctors or attorneys. 

He always said, "people generally are out of their realm when it comes to their homes just as they are out of their realm when it comes to medicine or the law. Your home is most likely your biggest purchase, take care of it with qualified professionals. And that can sometimes cost."

There it is!  I agree wholeheartedly.  They know this too.  Like I said they are invaluable to homeowners, but it does set back some of us a little bit with the extra cost @Jacie 

I don't think doctors get $275.00 per fifteen minutes of time.  Plus I want to pay by the job, not how many hours you work.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

diagnostic fees, service call fees, minimum charge fees....... these are nothing really new where i live.

we had a refrigerator repair recently and it was a standard $90 to come in and diagnose and then they came back to install the part and fix the issue. auto mechanics check out your engines and other issues and around here the diagnostic charges begin at $125 and go up from there. it takes time and effort to give you an estimate, pull things out, use the diagnostic tools, figure out a price.

for our home we have whole house coverage on appliances, hvac, plumbing, electrical. we pay for that yearly. even with that they charge us $50 for a service call anytime they come out. 

the only "free estimates" i have seen are for things like roof repair, driveway repair, lawn/landscaping services, home improvements.

I haven't asked for an "estimate."  I'm asking for work to be done.  When they walk in the door for the issue I just had there is no major things to consider that warrant a right up and a 72nd hour right to cancel.  That's not the case I'm speaking to @sunshine45 .

I had a fairly simple issue that needed to be fixed with my boiler.  I can't do it, but I know what needed to be done.  I paid for the walk in + his cost to rectify it.  No written estimates.  It's not that big of a job.

@gertrudecloset 

most companies do perform some type of diagnostic service and may or may not provide you with a written or verbal estimate. you can tell them what the issue is, but they still have to go in and diagnose the issue or issues.  service fees, travel fees, diagnostic fees, job minimum fees.......it may not be a big job, but many companies these days are going to charge you for that service, big job or small job. this is generally how it is in my area of maryland.

if it is something simple, you may want to consider hiring a local handyman, who may NOT charge you any extra fees for the work and  may be considerably cheaper, especially if it is an easy job.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

most companies do perform some type of diagnostic service and may or may not provide you with a written or verbal estimate. you can tell them what the issue is, but they still have to go in and diagnose the issue or issues.  service fees, travel fees, diagnostic fees, job minimum fees.......it may not be a big job, but many companies these days are going to charge you for that service, big job or small job. this is generally how it is in my area of maryland.

if it is something simple, you may want to consider hiring a local handyman, who may NOT charge you any extra fees for the work and  may be considerably cheaper, especially if it is an easy job.

@sunshine45 There will be an estimate and write up of a contract to do major work.  Most times, I call a Plumber I tell them what's wrong, (tub won't clear, sink clogged, or something's backing up.  No estimates.  They tell me what it will cost to do and I agree.  They also charge me the walk in fee on top of what it will cost to do the work.  Those things are minor. Walk in the door + cost to repair my clog, leak, pipe or whatever.

I've had estimates given for other kinds of carpentry work in my home, that will require a lot of manhours and equipment.  I prefer written estimates for that.  Once those are signed by both parties, the homeowner has 72 hours in which to cancel the contract.  That's the law in my state.  

It didn't get to that with initially.  I'm actually going to need a HVAC person so we will be discussing a lot of stuff about the possible cause for why I need a plumber so quickly.  A part may need to be ordered.  I will sign a contract for this work.  Not a quick plumbing job.  I insist on contracts for them to warrant their work for at least 6 months or a year for major plumbing, but not leaks....

Honored Contributor

We went on vacation in December. When we returned the heater was running but there was no heat.

So we called the HVAC company that we had bought an annual maintenance contract. Even with the maintenance contract we had to pay $100 to have someone walk through the door. The first words out of his mouth as he walked in the door was that we needed a new heater. And he gave us a dollar amount for the new heater and air conditioning.

We said thanks but just fix the heater. It was a minor part (less than $20) but he made his boss come to our house and give us a hard sell for a new heater.

Then my husband was looking at our service contract. It stated if we did not have their recommended service done that our maintenance contract would be voided. 

Please carefully read contracts.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

We went on vacation in December. When we returned the heater was running but there was no heat.

So we called the HVAC company that we had bought an annual maintenance contract. Even with the maintenance contract we had to pay $100 to have someone walk through the door. The first words out of his mouth as he walked in the door was that we needed a new heater. And he gave us a dollar amount for the new heater and air conditioning.

We said thanks but just fix the heater. It was a minor part (less than $20) but he made his boss come to our house and give us a hard sell for a new heater.

Then my husband was looking at our service contract. It stated if we did not have their recommended service done that our maintenance contract would be voided. 

Please carefully read contracts.

@drizzellla  EXCELLENT point!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It must be different due to location and competition (competition is brutal here)....most skilled traders (plumbers, A/C/Heating, foundation repair, window replacement, appliance repair, roof repair etc etc) in my area advertise on TV and most even offer FREE estimates and even give a $25 Gift Card to entice potential customers (gift cards are for a grocery store, or Amazon or it's a Visa gift card)..................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”