Honored Contributor

Nah, everything is bigger in Tx. 

ROFLMAO

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 New Mexico's mountain lions win the size contest for certain. One of the respected mountain men in the village was stopped at an intersection where the river runs beside the main thoroughfare. He said a mountain lion crossed in front of him that was 10 feet in length from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. He knows his wildlife. He urged everyone to be vigilant.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

Great pictures.  I'd love to know the story behind the police vehicle and the cat!

@Citrine1.  It's cold and the engine in the car may have made the hood toasty warm.

I'd like to know if our hero, the cop, went out and insisted the cat get off of his car.  Imagine the paw prints all over that shiny black car.  I Imagine all those huge paw prints would really impress all those refugee Texans where @On It lives.  NM has BIGGER kitties.

So you're saying this lion was just roaming the streets?  Like that's a normal thing?  We only have lions in zoos in my neck of the woods!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1.  We have them wander into my suburban Albuquerque neighborhood occasionally and Santa Fe has had one right downtown.

@On It.  Have you and dh ever watched the TV  program Mountain Men?  I think you'd really like it, as do I.   I think it's on the History Channel, although I stream it on demand on YouTube TV. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 Yes. I am in a mountain village in a forest. Wildlife is all around us. That photo is a mountain lion but not in our village. The village protects its wildlife and its human population. We all live together. I have never known of a mountain lion attack on a human here.

We have a population of elk, deer, wild horses, and bear. Of course, we have all the small forest critters. I have seen a coyote, but I do not think we have that many. When we go outside we make noise. We want the animals to know we are there, so they won't be startled especially after nightfall.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   Oh my gosh, just wander into your neighborhood, huh?  I can't even imagine.  I guess it's all a matter of what you get used to!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 My husband watches every episode. I like Marty. I was so glad he came back. We know some true mountain men that we have met over the years. They are fascinating and live a special lifestyle. 

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Citrine1 Yes. I am in a mountain village in a forest. Wildlife is all around us. That photo is a mountain lion but not in our village. The village protects its wildlife and its human population. We all live together. I have never known of a mountain lion attack on a human here.

We have a population of elk, deer, wild horses, and bear. Of course, we have all the small forest critters. I have seen a coyote, but I do not think we have that many. When we go outside we make noise. We want the animals to know we are there, so they won't be startled especially after nightfall.

Thank you for that information @On It .  It's all so very interesting to me.  As I said to @Kachina624 , it's a matter of what you're used to.

As I'm typing this, I have the local news on in the background.  They just announced that a man was shot and killed last night a few blocks from my home.  This is becoming more frequent, unfortunately.

You've got the wild animals.  I've got the wild people.  Both are pretty scary.   

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1.  We have both.  The wild animals are of the least concern.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   Sadly, I'm sure!