Honored Contributor

Re: Sirhan Sirhan

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Chessa35 wrote:

I wonder how Ethel feels about his release  !

@Chessa35   Do not think Ethel feels much at this point?

Really? What makes you say that?

I have no idea what Mrs. Kennedy thinks or feels but at 93 years of age and with the death occurring 53 years ago, one might assume it's not consuming her at this point.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

IF he shows remorse for what he's done, I think it's time for him to be paroled. Some people do change. Whether or not he's one, I can't say as I haven't spoken to him.

"Showing remorse" is not equivalent to actually having remorse.  Though he may very well have remorse.  What does remorse look like anyway @Sushismom ?

What, exactly, is the difference? As far as I'm concerned, one needs to actually feel remorse in order to show it (unless you're a great actor). And if you don't know what remorse looks like, well...

The difference is that a sociopath who admitted to killing a well regarded politician of his time can be acting and pulling the wool over your head?  You know what a liar looks like?  I don't.  I only know they are lying when I discover what they said isn't true.  They DON'T HAVE A LOOK.  Being remorseful doesn't come with a "look."  Besides looks can be deceiving or don't you know that?  Someone can show you what you want to see and be lying to you all the while. 

@Sushismom 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tell you what. I don't have a strong opinion about his possible release one way or the other, but comparing him to Manson is apples and oranges. Sirhan is allegedly a murderer who killed one man, most likely for ideological reasons. Manson was a cult leader, maniac and serial killer convicted on ten counts of murder, murder by proxy or conspiracy to commit murder and four counts of arson, largely unmotivated by anything other than his warped mind. Sirhan is a felon, Manson was a lunatic whose freedom would have jeopardized whatever community in which he might have lived. There really is a difference. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:
In response to Sirhan's parole recommendation, six of Kennedy's children issued a statement excoriating the decision.

"As children of Robert F. Kennedy, we are devastated that the man who murdered our father has been recommended for parole. Our father's death is a very difficult matter for us to discuss publicly and for the past many decades we have declined to engage directly in the parole process," said the statement from Kennedy's children Joseph P., Courtney, Kerry, Christopher, Maxwell and Rory.

"Given today's unexpected recommendation by the California parole board after 15 previous decisions to deny release, we feel compelled to make our position clear. We adamantly oppose the parole and release of Sirhan Sirhan and are shocked by a ruling that we believe ignores the standards for parole of a confessed, first-degree murderer in the state of California," the statement said.

"We are in disbelief that this man would be recommended for release. We urge the Parole Board staff, the full Board, and ultimately, Governor Newsom, to reverse this initial recommendation. It is a recommendation we intend to challenge every step of the way, and we hope that those who also hold the memory of our father in their hearts will stand with us."

I'm pleased to know that not all family members are on board.  Let Sirhan Sirhan die in prison.  That's what Life with no possibility of parole should look like.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Tell you what. I don't have a strong opinion about his possible release one way or the other, but comparing him to Manson is apples and oranges. Sirhan is a murder who killed one man, most likely for ideological reasons. Manson was a cult leader, maniac and serial killer convicted on ten counts of murder or conspiracy, largely unmotivated by anything other than his warped mind. Sirhan is a criminal, Manson was a lunatic whose freedom would have jeopardized whatever community in which he might have lived. There really is a difference. 

@steviebNo, there is no difference in this day and time.  I say that because they same geopolitical reasons Sirhan had then, he holds now. I read that much.   Actually nothing has changed in that region.  We approach it the same way we did then.  That would most definitely bother him.  It was "supposedly" the reason for the murder of Kennedy.  Nothing has changed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those hung up on on his sentence and what it should or shouldn't mean, Sirhan was first sentenced to death but his sentence was commuted in 1972 to life WITH the possibility of parole. As for the two Kennedy's suggesting he be paroled, there was, indeed, some evidence that Sirhan's gun was not the actual murder weapon. Let him out, don't let him out, whatever, but facts should probably trump emotion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Tell you what. I don't have a strong opinion about his possible release one way or the other, but comparing him to Manson is apples and oranges. Sirhan is a murder who killed one man, most likely for ideological reasons. Manson was a cult leader, maniac and serial killer convicted on ten counts of murder or conspiracy, largely unmotivated by anything other than his warped mind. Sirhan is a criminal, Manson was a lunatic whose freedom would have jeopardized whatever community in which he might have lived. There really is a difference. 

@steviebNo, there is no difference in this day and time.  I say that because they same geopolitical reasons Sirhan had then, he holds now. I read that much.   Actually nothing has changed in that region.  We approach it the same way we did then.  That would most definitely bother him.  It was "supposedly" the reason for the murder of Kennedy.  Nothing has changed. 

Yes @gertrudecloset there is a big difference between an ideological murder and multiple actions of a demented serial killer. The Mideast is, always has been and likely always will be a hot mess, serving as home base for some wonderful people, many victims of frightening regimes, and a slew of suicidal and murderous zealots, but that has nothing to do with the differences between Sirhan and Manson...

Esteemed Contributor

On April 23, 1969, Sirhan Sirhan is sentenced to the death penalty after being convicted in the assassination of politician Robert F. Kennedy. In 1972, Sirhan’s sentence was commuted to life in prison after California abolished the death penalty.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/sirhan-sirhan-receives-death-penalty

You say tomatoe I say tomatoe.....

Sirhan has served 53 years for the murder of the New York senator and brother of President John F. Kennedy. RFK was a Democratic presidential candidate when he was gunned down at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles moments after delivering a victory speech in the pivotal California primary.

Sirhan, a Christian Palestinian from Jordan, has acknowledged he was angry at Kennedy for his support of Israel.

When asked about how he feels about the Middle East conflict today, Sirhan broke down crying and temporarily couldn’t speak.

“Take a few deep breaths,” said Barton, who noted the conflict had not gone away and still touched a nerve.

Sirhan said he doesn't follow what's going on in the region but thinks about the suffering of refugees.

“The misery that those people are experiencing. It’s painful,” Sirhan said.

If released, Sirhan could be deported to Jordan, and Barton said he was concerned he might become a “symbol or lightning rod to foment more violence.”

Sirhan said he was too old to be involved in the Middle East conflict and would detach himself from it. (It still hurts him, but he can detach himself from it)?  No one wants to take that chance.

“The same argument can be said or made that I can be a peacemaker, and a contributor to a friendly nonviolent way of resolving the issue,” Sirhan said.

The above is all I need to be hung up about his sentence.......but that' just me.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Yes @gertrudecloset there is a big difference between an ideological murder and multiple actions of a demented serial killer. The Mideast is, always has been and likely alway always will be a hot mess but that has nothing to do with the differences between Sirhan and Manson...

@steviebNo there is no difference.  Charles Manson is still a psychopath.  Sirhan Sirhan likely feels the same way he did when he shot Kennedy because of facts gleaned from his hearing for parole.  Nothing has changed in that region and it still bothers him.  Does it bother him enough to assassinate someone else he feels doesn't favor his people?

You don't know this, nor do I.  I don't think we should take that chance, but that's my opinion.  You're entitled to yours.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  We'll agree to disagree, but there are vast differences between the two cases, the two individuals and the extent of their crimes, legally and psychologically speaking.