Honored Contributor

Re: Single Diners - Your Thoughts

@cherry wrote:

@OKPrincess wrote:

I wonder if a single male diner would be treated the same way. Start documenting your experiences for back up purposes. 

@OKPrincessmy son is single ,and has traveled all over the world  ,for his job. He has never had a problem, anywhere

The only  comment he has ever made was , how long  it takes to eat a meal in Europe. They take a lot of time  to dine. The courses don't come out rapidly, one after the other

He always tells them to bring his food out, as soon as one course is finished ,because he doesn't like lingering over a meal

@cherry

i am just the opposite!

i am a lingerer, whether i am with others or by myself.......at a table or at a bar. i hate being too rushed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

When my husband travels for work, I occasionally take myself out to dinner. I've really never had a problem.  

I do always tip a minimum of $5, which usually amounts to at least a 40% tip.  But, they don't know that when I'm seated.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@MickD wrote:

While I've never been refused a table for one.  I would not/have not hogged a 2-4 top with an ocean view...wouldn't feel right.  It is appropriate to sit at a bar and dine as one.....done many a time...and I've met quite a few characters.

Yet I’ve been taken right to a prime ocean view table for four by the hostess who was happy to seat me there - I didn’t even ask or expect it. 

I would never ever “just go sit in the bar.” Heck to the no. I am not an undesirable second-class patron simply because I don’t come in a pair. I have also offered, once I was seated at a prime table for four, to move to a table for two (which wasn’t available when I walked in) when a party of four walked in. 

@Moonchilde

Do you seriously think someone who dines at the bar is an "undesirable second-class patron".

We dine out frequently and often at upscale establishments (never fast food or chain restaurants). We opt to sit at the bar.  As a result we have developed an excellent rapport with all the mixologists who treat us very well along with the managers who never fail to stop by to say hello and ask how everything is.

Different strokes for different folks.   

@magicmoodz

That's not what she said.  " I am not an undesirable second-class patron simply because I don’t come in a pair."  Meaning, she gets the feeling others may think that way ABOUT her.

Thank you, @Noel7. You have saved me from even having to acknowledge such deliberate cluelessness at its source.

@Moonchilde

Well this post clearly sums it up. You are given the tables you deserve.

So because you deliberately misinterpreted what I’d said in order to be inflammatory and were called on it by me and by @Noel7, I have an issue. Nope. You just got the glove tossed back to you after you slung it first.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  My son was in the Navy for 9 years. From boot camp   and beyond  all of the men ate as fast as they could. If you wanted to eat that what you had to do.

It is like this in  many of the  services. Once you learn to eat like this, it is very hard to slow down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once when my son was a toddler, DH and I took him to a nice steak house at 4pm and in a completely empty restaurant they tried to seat us way back by the bathrooms.  When we insisted on being moved (they did) we tried to order a filet and they said they were out!!lWe walked out never to return.

Respected Contributor

Ask if they have a table for singles. I eat at a restaurant in a big city where they do, which is kind of fun because you’re always eating with somebody different and never alone.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde

i did not say it never happens......

what i DID say is that it has never happened to me AND a few others on this thread.

if this is something you ARE passionate about and it continues to be a trend for you and/or, then maybe you should see a lawyer as you mentioned earlier?

I never mentioned wanting to “see a lawyer,” I said I’d like to see someone somewhere file a suit but I doubt it would be valid if they did.

It’s not a “happens to me” issue - there are other posters in this thread who have said it happens to them or family members. It’s more a “trend of this practice” issue in that in many instances if one restaurant in an area starts something, others will follow suit. I had never had this happen to me to a degree that it upset me, until the past 12 months. Never before. And this is a tourist area. I would really hate to see high profile tourist area restaurants make this a policy in general.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Ask if they have a table for singles. I eat at a restaurant in a big city where they do, which is kind of fun because you’re always eating with somebody different and never alone.

I don’t think that really applies in my situation (lunch) so much, but I think it’s a teriffic idea :-)

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sunshine45  My son was in the Navy for 9 years. From boot camp   and beyond  all of the men ate as fast as they could. If you wanted to eat that what you had to do.

It is like this in  many of the  services. Once you learn to eat like this, it is very hard to slow down.

@cherry, same in hospitals, or any place that allows 30 min for lunch which in actuality leaves maybe 12 min for the chewing part of lunch.

I have slowed down, but I’ll never be a really slow eater.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  my son was a petty office on a sub for 9 years. The table on the sub  held 20 people and 100 guys needed to be fed

Everyone ate ,and left as soon as possible