Respected Contributor

Re: Singing the praises of our younger generation

@Drythewrote:

@January121wrote:

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

@January121

I think one finds what one expects to see.  Sad, really.

@January121,

I look at things very differently from you.

As I see it, our generation is doing a very poor job with the world right now. We've been poor stewards of this planet. Our children are not safe in school. Hate is no longer hiding in the shadows.

My money is on the young to fix the things we've messed up.

Honored Contributor

“The sky is falling, the sky is falling!  

Let’s blame the kids.”

Honored Contributor

Interesting discussion. 

I've always been somewhat loath to make generalizations about really vast groups, including "generational" groups.   Seriouslly evaluating people based on things over which they have no control, like their generation, their sex, their ethnicity, is a less than desirable measure, I believe.

Thinking back to my youth and college years, we Baby Boomers were lavished with unprecedented praise, and extremely high expectations.  Yes, professors and experts told us, "the kids" were so much more enlightened than their parents, they were on a whole new level, we would advance so much as they (we) assumed leadership.

When professors would start praising us fulsomely in class-- and some really pandered-- I was unimpressed.  It was kind of embarrassing, and seemed based on too little evidence.

It's still my conviction that, although some simple generalizations about groups can reasonably be drawn, judging people on an individual basis is the most reliable and socially healthy method.

Esteemed Contributor

My dear son turned 26 yesterday.He is the light of my life.He’s a wonderful, hardworking ,polite young man.He did not raise himself.DH & I put in the work.He‘s the person he is today because of the way he was raised.

My son works part time in a law office & is in the top 10% of his class in law school.He is determined to be successful. His girlfriend just got her MBA & is working hard toward achieving her goals too.She recently thanked me for raising such a caring, loving & responsible son.

Young people today were dealt a bad hand by  previous generations.They grew up in a world consumed with violence,selfishness & greed.Our leaders have dug us into a hole on so many levels.It’s becoming the job of young people to figure out how to dig out of it.It’s not their fault.It’s going to take time.”Rome wasn’t built in a day”.

“You reap what you sow”.For those of us who took our jobs as parents seriously we are rewarded with terrific kids who contribute positively toward society .They make us proud every day.They give us hope that maybe in time they can undo the mess that has been handed down to them!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

I have wanted to do this for a while. I just never knew quite what to  say about this topic

I will start by saying ,we eat out  every morning. We go to the same diner every day. It is very well run ,by two young men who immigrated, with their parents, from Yugoslavia.

These two young  men, work 7 days a week , every week. They rarely take a day off, and serve wonderful food, in a clean and pleasant  diner. They are such a credit to their parents. I have never heard them scream ,or use bad language, no matter how busy they are.

They have the sweetest, and best waitresses, I have ever known. They are all races ,and their children are a mix of all races ,and cultures, and religions.

Everyone of these  young women are hard working, polite, kind, and a pleasure to know.

They come from the US, some from Romania, and Mexico.

They are hard working young women ,raising their children to be the best people they can. They care about  teaching them manners, and making sure they  get a good education. Some are working on their masters degrees, some are working two jobs.

I have seen all of the children, and they are clean ,and well behaved, and well taken care of, and loved

It makes me proud to call them my friends ,and my adopted grandkids.

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

I hate to say I agree with you.  I am sure there are many children out there who are getting a good education, have manners and will grow up to be dedicated, hard working adults.  However, from what I have seen leaves me to wonder what the future of this country will be like when the current group of children become adults.  It appears that so many of them are interested only in texting and playing games on their computers.  Manners?  I haven't seen a teenager hold a door open for an elderly person or say excuse me if they are in the way or want to pass.   I could go on and on.  And then I see teenagers performing at the Olympics, that sure lifts my spirits and gives me hope for the future and my grandchildren and great grandchildren.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you know any rude adults? I see them everyday. Children learn what they observe.I see people tweet awful things to other people and they aren't kids. Two movie stars are fighting. One told the other ,she was sorry for the loss of her brother. The other lady snapped at her, saying, I don't want your sympathy, were aren't friends...yikes

My husband shops with me, and always manages just to escape getting run over by a cart, pushed by a female age ,boomer. There are heaps of us boomers, and everyone isn't polite, when they are out and about. They don't say I'm sorry, and they don't slow down, plus they are on cells.

Children learn what they observe and are taught.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121wrote:

........ I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

It's not like the one's who are doing it today are doing such a bangup job! I'll pin my hopes on the young folks like the survivors of the Florida shooting.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @cherry for sharing such a delightful story with us! I love reading positive posts.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

It is very difficult to run a restaurant while being sharply observed by your patrons for any sign of disrespect for the prevailing culture.

I'm not really "up" for breakfast, and having a couple come in daily for breakfast who can comment approvingly about your servers/children would make me happy.

Honored Contributor

Just saw a Florida high-school student, Cameron Kasky, interviewed on one of the cable news channels.  He was extremely well-spoken and informed when voicing his thoughts about a recent tragedy.  We should all feel proud to know that there will be young people like Mr. Kasky to lead our country into the future.