Honored Contributor

Re: Singing the praises of our younger generation

[ Edited ]

Some people are sure not to like this topic. I spoke about diversity, and defended kids, even rude kids can still grow up to be great people.

I used to call my two ,experts in every field, when they were growing up, as I recall..and you know what?  It was sort of a prophecy..My son is so bright, he was the top of his electronics class, when he graduated from submarine school, and the boat he served on, called to request the best they had  for their sub, my son was it. They wanted to send him to Annapolis for officers training, but he wanted to  leave the military. He was short listed to be the electronics  expert to sweep for bugs, for Pres George Bush, but he wasn't reelected....but he could still be a pain when he was a kid, sometimes

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft. Well, to be quite honest, @cherry started a very positive and uplifting thread about the expectations of some parents, their hard work to raise responsible children to caring adults.

As does often happen here, it took a 180 to the negative. Putting blame on past generations is just that..in the past. Maybe we can look to the future.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I occasionally get annoyed at human interaction, or the lack of it, these days. People and situations irritate me from time to time. But age has nothing to do with it - a 30-40-50 year old can and often is plenty annoying and rude in a given situation. I definitely do NOT notice young people being somehow ruder than their elders.

But I think some people have very different definitions of the word ‘rude’ than I do. I don’t consider anything and everything that isn’t my way or my preference to be rude, because I’ve always understood the world doesn’t revolve around me. I have way more issues with those who believe the sun rises and sets on their wants and needs alone than I do with “young people.”

Heaven forbid I ever become “that crabby old fuddy-duddy.” A real-life Maxine (whom I love as a satire) who finds no joy in anything or anyone. Not believing that one ever needs to learn to get along and adapt to changes because they “shouldn’t need to” is a recipe for unhappiness IMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SFGIANTSGIRL.  No one’s pointing fingers at good parenting. Certainly, when both parents work, it’s a push/pull situation. 

Never feel guilty for doing all you can do to raise great kids.

💕

Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@RoughDraft. Well, to be quite honest, @cherry started a very positive and uplifting thread about the expectations of some parents, their hard work to raise responsible children to caring adults.

As does often happen here, it took a 180 to the negative. Putting blame on past generations is just that..in the past. Maybe we can look to the future.

@Shanus  That is exactly what I'm trying to do...look to the future.  When I spoke of the older generations, I meant the ones still in power, not those who are no longer here.  Blaming children, who are more likely victims and/or currently powerless is futile.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL.  No one’s pointing fingers at good parenting. Certainly, when both parents work, it’s a push/pull situation. 

💕

You are wonderful. I think everyone situation is different but if kids are taught to respect. they carry that forward.  It has always been a must in this home and if you expect nothing less, you will get nothing less.  It is so important to put in the time and just talk to your kids. I go into ny 16 year olds room and sit on his bed and chat. 

Smiley Happy

Deb

Honored Contributor

@cherry my son with his MBA was such a lazy student his first year in college and voted the class gossip in High School. He left college for awhile because he didn't think it was necessary for him. He realized his error when he reached the point at his job that he couldn't get any further without his degree. And from then on at the age of twenty-five, he went back to college and then on to graduate school.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@SFGIANTSGIRLwrote:

@Shanuswrote:

💕

You are wonderful. I think everyone situation is different but if kids are taught to respect. they carry that forward.  It has always been a must in this home and if you expect nothing less, you will get nothing less.  It is so important to put in the time and just talk to your kids. I go into ny 16 year olds room and sit on his bed and chat. 

Smiley Happy

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  My kids were 1 yr. apart(!). As teenagers, it was more than a hassle keeping up w/ everything they could be up to or get in to. My husband and I were strict compared to their friends’ parents who grounded the kids, found it too annoying having them around the house moaning and let the kid out of it...Fast forward and ours are now successful, respectful, working, responsible 46 and 45 yr. olds. 

Yes, definitely put in the work, reap what you sow, whatever expression you choose, good parents produce good kids, Deb.

Shanus

Honored Contributor

We are all a work in progress aren't we @JaneMarple.  I hope as long as I am alive  I can improve myself....none of us are saints, and to single out kids is just so unfair

One of my favorite waitresses is mixed, and she wears her earrings in sort of a

edgy style ,I have never seen before, so I give her all of my orphan earrings, who have lost their mates, She looks so cute wearing them.None of them match she wears a few in one ear ,and none in the other

Today ,she gave me such a big hug, and told me I looked so beautiful. She is good for my heart.. We got the girls a box of candy for Valentines day, and they were so pleased. We got them nice chocolates, I don't think most of them have the money to splurge on stuff like this. They were all so pleased

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

We are all a work in progress aren't we @JaneMarple.  I hope as long as I am alive  I can improve myself....none of us are saints, and to single out kids is just so unfair

One of my favorite waitresses is mixed, and she wears her earrings in sort of a

edgy style ,I have never seen before, so I give her all of my orphan earrings, who have lost their mates, She looks so cute wearing them.None of them match she wears a few in one ear ,and none in the other

Today ,she gave me such a big hug, and told me I looked so beautiful. She is good for my heart.. We got the girls a box of candy for Valentines day, and they were so pleased. We got them nice chocolates, I don't think most of them have the money to splurge on stuff like this. They were all so pleased

Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson