Honored Contributor

Re: Singing the praises of our younger generation

@cherrywrote:

If my kids would be young kids today they would be on a cell, and they might even be rude a time or two.  I have no idea. they were great kids, but they were kids, not perfect..

You know ,it takes time to grow.  I imagine people said the same thing when I was young.  They were probably wringing their hands about  me, and my friends

@cherry, you can take that to the bank.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

I have wanted to do this for a while. I just never knew quite what to  say about this topic

I will start by saying ,we eat out  every morning. We go to the same diner every day. It is very well run ,by two young men who immigrated, with their parents, from Yugoslavia.

These two young  men, work 7 days a week , every week. They rarely take a day off, and serve wonderful food, in a clean and pleasant  diner. They are such a credit to their parents. I have never heard them scream ,or use bad language, no matter how busy they are.

They have the sweetest, and best waitresses, I have ever known. They are all races ,and their children are a mix of all races ,and cultures, and religions.

Everyone of these  young women are hard working, polite, kind, and a pleasure to know.

They come from the US, some from Romania, and Mexico.

They are hard working young women ,raising their children to be the best people they can. They care about  teaching them manners, and making sure they  get a good education. Some are working on their masters degrees, some are working two jobs.

I have seen all of the children, and they are clean ,and well behaved, and well taken care of, and loved

It makes me proud to call them my friends ,and my adopted grandkids.

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

@January121

Have you seen video of the Florida survivors? Young. Intelligent, passionate about doing good.

Do you know about our young people in the winter Olympics?  Our young Americans serving in the military?  

Honored Contributor

@January121wrote:

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

@January121

I think one finds what one expects to see.  Sad, really.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Our young people have become scapegoats for the many, many problems adults created.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

I have wanted to do this for a while. I just never knew quite what to  say about this topic

I will start by saying ,we eat out  every morning. We go to the same diner every day. It is very well run ,by two young men who immigrated, with their parents, from Yugoslavia.

These two young  men, work 7 days a week , every week. They rarely take a day off, and serve wonderful food, in a clean and pleasant  diner. They are such a credit to their parents. I have never heard them scream ,or use bad language, no matter how busy they are.

They have the sweetest, and best waitresses, I have ever known. They are all races ,and their children are a mix of all races ,and cultures, and religions.

Everyone of these  young women are hard working, polite, kind, and a pleasure to know.

They are hard working young women ,raising their children to be the best people they can. They care about  teaching them manners, and making sure they  get a good education. Some are working on their masters degrees, some are working two jobs.

I have seen all of the children, and they are clean ,and well behaved, and well taken care of, and loved

@January121  Most? Being on a cell phone automatically causes kids to grow up w/ bad manners & have no respect? Think I’ll leave it right there.

@Shanus ...... you have the right to disagree ... it’s my opinion formed by what is going on in the world today ..... also, because of different circumstances, parents today don’t have the time to devote to their kids & the kids wind up raising themselves & get involved in things that they shouldn’t..... again, this is my opinion & I have every right to it.

Honored Contributor

@January121wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

@January121  Most? Being on a cell phone automatically causes kids to grow up w/ bad manners & have no respect? Think I’ll leave it right there.

@Shanus ...... you have the right to disagree ... it’s my opinion formed by what is going on in the world today ..... also, because of different circumstances, parents today don’t have the time to devote to their kids & the kids wind up raising themselves & get involved in things that they shouldn’t..... again, this is my opinion & I have every right to it.

@January121

What is going on in the world today has neen going on before they were born.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Is there a theme here because this tune is really getting old?  If the world is in a mess, it's a sure thing that young people aren't causing it.  I'd point my finger at their parents and grandparents for the choices/mistakes they have made over many decades.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Noel7  ...... before they were born and no cell phones/texting.

Respected Contributor

@January121wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

I think the problem is parents unplug.  I work full time in a very demanding job.and my husband works full time in a busy job also.  When I get home, dinner may not be homemade (ok guilty of a hot dog and mac and cheese etc sometimes) but my second job begins at 6:30. Homework begins. I try to fit in a 5 mile run, because in order to be a good Mom, Mom needs to take care of herself.  Life and parenting is truly about balance. I try and remember what is was like to be 16 and 11 and keep engaged.  I listen ot my 16 year olds rap and go to the Kung Fu pratices.  I do my very best to watch for things I need to focus on and engage. 

Honored Contributor

My grandson just turned nine a week ago, he's a good student and likes to read. He takes karate classes and has just started swimming this past winter competitively. He fights with his sister who is six and is a terribly finicky eater and of course tries to argue his point of view. My daughter in law works part time and picks him up from school while my son gets home from work about 5:30. Both parents have time for the kids and enjoy their roles as parents. They make it work, of course they have stress but it doesn't last.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson