Honored Contributor

Singing the praises of our younger generation

I have wanted to do this for a while. I just never knew quite what to  say about this topic

I will start by saying ,we eat out  every morning. We go to the same diner every day. It is very well run ,by two young men who immigrated, with their parents, from Yugoslavia.

These two young  men, work 7 days a week , every week. They rarely take a day off, and serve wonderful food, in a clean and pleasant  diner. They are such a credit to their parents. I have never heard them scream ,or use bad language, no matter how busy they are.

They have the sweetest, and best waitresses, I have ever known. They are all races ,and their children are a mix of all races ,and cultures, and religions.

Everyone of these  young women are hard working, polite, kind, and a pleasure to know.

They come from the US, some from Romania, and Mexico.

They are hard working young women ,raising their children to be the best people they can. They care about  teaching them manners, and making sure they  get a good education. Some are working on their masters degrees, some are working two jobs.

I have seen all of the children, and they are clean ,and well behaved, and well taken care of, and loved

It makes me proud to call them my friends ,and my adopted grandkids.

Honored Contributor

Re: Singing the praises of our younger generation

It’s nice to read a positive post like this!   We also have a family that started out in our area with one restaurant, and now they have 5,6?   I’ve lost count!   They all work very hard, and care about their customers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I have wanted to do this for a while. I just never knew quite what to  say about this topic

I will start by saying ,we eat out  every morning. We go to the same diner every day. It is very well run ,by two young men who immigrated, with their parents, from Yugoslavia.

These two young  men, work 7 days a week , every week. They rarely take a day off, and serve wonderful food, in a clean and pleasant  diner. They are such a credit to their parents. I have never heard them scream ,or use bad language, no matter how busy they are.

They have the sweetest, and best waitresses, I have ever known. They are all races ,and their children are a mix of all races ,and cultures, and religions.

Everyone of these  young women are hard working, polite, kind, and a pleasure to know.

They are hard working young women ,raising their children to be the best people they can. They care about  teaching them manners, and making sure they  get a good education. Some are working on their masters degrees, some are working two jobs.

I have seen all of the children, and they are clean ,and well behaved, and well taken care of, and loved

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

Honored Contributor

I have faith in the goodness of people. Lots of people are on cells, including my husband, and children.

All of them are hard working polite and kind. My son  has his masters degree ,and travels around the world teaching telecommunications, my daughter is a police officer, who has been honored 3 times, by the university she works for

Respected Contributor

I have to say that I must be lucky. My husband and I raised our boys just like our parents raised us.  I have one son who is 16 and one who is 11.  My 16 year old, works busing tables at a local resturant and holds a 4.2 GPA.  He is on his phone, all the time, listens to rap and is the politest kid you will ever meet. When I cook or his Dad cooks, he says "Thank You Dad or Thank You Mom".  He uses please and thank you always and never fails to tell his Grandma and his other Grandparents he loves them.

My 11 year old is the sweetest too.  He carries a 3,8-4.0 GPA and loves playing xbox.  He does Kung Fu and it has taugh him dicipline and respect.  He also always uses his please and thank yous and always says "I Love You". 

Teaching your kids to love and respect comes from home.  I would not settle for any less and I hope they will continue in this direction and make a possitive contribution to this world.

Deb

Esteemed Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I have faith in the goodness of people. Lots of people are on cells, including my husband, and children.

All of them are hard working polite and kind. My son  has his masters degree ,and travels around the world teaching telecommunications, my daughter is a police officer, who has been honored 3 times, by the university she works for

@cherry ..... your children are grown up & established in their lives .... my response was directed at the young kids today & not older husbands & established children.

Honored Contributor

Many times, immigrants and the children of immigrants do not take success for granted, expect no special considerations, and are prepared to work harder and sacrifice more than the native-born. They just frankly try harder - and are rewarded for that, as they should be.

Manners, in the form of respect for others, general polite respect and respect for age in particular are very important in other cultures - IMO, more important than they are in general to the average American under 40, say. JMO, not debating the point.

My g-niece and her hubby both work 12-14 hr days at times. Their oldest, 17, happily works with his dad and also at another part-time job. For his senior year he’s not attending school but has monitored online classes. He’s actually getting better grades than when he attended school because the social stuff isn’t there and there’s more one-on-one attention from the teacher. And of course - no school shootings to worry about. Because he deals with the public a lot, he carries on a very intelligent, direct conversation with adults - not tongue-tied, not sullen, shy or mumbly. I’m so proud of him!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@January121wrote:

@cherrywrote:

@cherry ...... it was very nice of you to praise these people & give them credit for doing a good job .... unfortunately, IMO they are unique as most of the kids today do not fall into this category.... the kids today rather be on their cell phones 24/7 & have absolutely no manners or respect for their country & expect everything be given to them ... I really feel sorry for this generation & cant even imagine what the future of our country will be like when the kids of today will be old enough to attempt to run this country 😢

@January121  Most? Being on a cell phone automatically causes kids to grow up w/ bad manners & have no respect? Think I’ll leave it right there.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If my kids would be young kids today they would be on a cell, and they might even be rude a time or two.  I have no idea. they were great kids, but they were kids, not perfect..

You know ,it takes time to grow.  I imagine people said the same thing when I was young.  They were probably wringing their hands about  me, and my friends

Honored Contributor

@cherry I'm the Mom of four, three daughters and one son. They are such a joy in my life, I was talking to my oldest daughter yesterday and told her that she and her siblings have taught me so much in life. 

My son is the diplomat, his twin the defense attorney, the next is the peacemaker and the youngest is the crazy one. Three of them have their Bachelor's and one his Master's and one who is still is trying to find her passion in life. All four are grounded and are. close with one another and I still get compliments on their manners. My son's mother in law has thanked me countless times for raising such a great young man.

All four contribute to society and give back to their communities.  

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson