Trusted Contributor

Re: Since when did HSN start adding tax to orders?

I'm in IL, as far as I know, I've always paid tax.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Judaline said:
On 1/4/2015 Krimpette said:

If I order on line, no tax. If I order by phone, tax.

Exactly! But not anymore. Have you ordered this year online? You may be in for a surprise.

I just placed a small test order on line and was not charged sales tax.

Esteemed Contributor

Always, I mean always have paid tax here in CA.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I placed an order online 12/29 and wasn't charged tax but always have been if placed by phone. I do know our state is vigorously trying to change this.
Trusted Contributor

I am in IL...For online orders HSN started charging tax about 5 years ago.

As previously mentioned ...HSN phone orders were always charged tax.

QVC always charged tax.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Judaline said:

If I order on line, no tax. If I order by phone, tax.

Exactly! But not anymore. Have you ordered this year online? You may be in for a surprise.

I just placed a small test order on line and was not charged sales tax.

Lucky you. I guess it's OH doing the dirty deed.

Trusted Contributor

If HSN has a shipping facility or call center in your state, you will also be charged sales tax.

We had a distribution facility open up in our town, and guess what....however we order...tax. Unless of course, that particular item is non-taxable in your respective state.

Esteemed Contributor

I've ordered from both HSN and QVC, online and by phone, and both have always charged tax on my orders.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/4/2015 WenGirl42 said: In my state, and many others, if an online retailer doesn't charge me tax, I am responsible for paying it directly. Since people apparently think not being charged tax at point-of-sale means they aren't being charged tax, states are going to be doing everything they can to get the online retailers to charge the appropriate tax. This will help level the playing field between online and B&M stores.
That's not at all true. Local businesses that don't ship only have to pay local, state and federal taxes. Now you're asking someone that does--online or not--to pay across 1900 or more districts, and that means yet another cost that the locals don't pay in addition to labor, packing materials and shipping. If anything, it makes it even more unfair on a part of the economy that involves so many jobs.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

The rules changed in my state a couple of years ago, and now I pay sales tax on both online AND phone orders.

But the companies charge the taxes according to each state's rules, so some customers may be confused by it. My state doesn't charge taxes on clothing items, so someone who lives here and only orders clothing might not realize the charges have been there for some time, thus being surprised if they order a taxable item.

I don't think anyone likes paying taxes, but I definitely want the civic services they pay for.