Respected Contributor

Re: Since when did HSN start adding tax to orders?

On 1/7/2015 twocent said:
On 1/6/2015 WenGirl42 said:
On 1/6/2015 twocent said:

Diva, it showed on my order , also. All the way thru check out, but I didn't go ahead and hit submit . CS assured me it would drop off , if I placed the order.

If after you submitted the order and it still shows tax charged, I would surely call and tell them I want it removed , as they aren't suppose to collect it for OH.

But then she has to keep track of it and submit it to the state herself, along with the rest of her taxable internet purchases not taxed at point of sale.

I am aware of that, but it is whatever her preference is - as HSN is NOT suppose to tax purchases we make in OH. I didn't think I needed to add that she would need to keep track of it and submit it herself , as I am sure she is aware of that. We in OH , know what is on our tax forms.

Right, it's whatever her preference is. I was just pointing out why one might not call and have it removed (if it's easier to let HSN deal with it...for me it would be Wink). Also, one minor correction...It's not that HSN isn't supposed to tax purchases made in OH, it's that they're not supposed to tax purchases shipped to OH. If you are in OH and you purchase a taxable item that you have shipped to one of the listed states, they are supposed to charge the tax.

Respected Contributor

I remember when they added tax to Kansas last year. I called CS and she explained it to me. That's what I liked about using the internet, no tax. Not anymore.

Honored Contributor

Diva, it showed on my order , also. All the way thru check out, but I didn't go ahead and hit submit . CS assured me it would drop off , if I placed the order.

If after you submitted the order and it still shows tax charged, I would surely call and tell them I want it removed , as they aren't suppose to collect it for OH.

But then she has to keep track of it and submit it to the state herself, along with the rest of her taxable internet purchases not taxed at point of sale.

Exactly. I'd rather just pay it at the time of purchase.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2015 WenGirl42 said:

I am aware of that, but it is whatever her preference is - as HSN is NOT suppose to tax purchases we make in OH. I didn't think I needed to add that she would need to keep track of it and submit it herself , as I am sure she is aware of that. We in OH , know what is on our tax forms.

Right, it's whatever her preference is. I was just pointing out why one might not call and have it removed (if it's easier to let HSN deal with it...for me it would be Wink). Also, one minor correction...It's not that HSN isn't supposed to tax purchases made in OH, it's that they're not supposed to tax purchases shipped to OH. If you are in OH and you purchase a taxable item that you have shipped to one of the listed states, they are supposed to charge the tax.

Alrighty then. I didn't know this applied in her situation, but I learned something today. The only person I generally ship to , is me. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink In the future , I will be sure to list all details and all scenarios.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

My preference would also be to just have the tax charged at the time of purchase. One less thing to keep track of , is a good thing for me.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2015 luvmyteddy said:

I remember when they added tax to Kansas last year. I called CS and she explained it to me. That's what I liked about using the internet, no tax. Not anymore.

Do you not have to list it on your state tax form? Wish we didn't here in OH. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 luvmyteddy said:

Do you not have to list it on your state tax form? Wish we didn't here in OH. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

KS residents were and are supposed to pay a use tax to the state for any taxable online purchases where they were not charged tax at point of sale or where they were charged less than the combined KS state and local tax for their area. But (like in most states with a use tax, including OH), there is little to no enforcement of this. This is why state governments are scrambling to find ways to make online retailers charge and pay the tax...too many consumers who think not being charged tax online means they don't have to pay the tax at all. Or worse, they know better but also know there won't be any consequence for not paying it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 WenGirl42 said:

Alrighty then. I didn't know this applied in her situation, but I learned something today. The only person I generally ship to , is me. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink In the future , I will be sure to list all details and all scenarios.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

My preference would also be to just have the tax charged at the time of purchase. One less thing to keep track of , is a good thing for me.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Oh believe me, me too! Especially if some online retailers are charging it and some aren't, so now I have to also keep track of which ones I've already paid the tax on and which ones I haven't...{#emotions_dlg.bored}

Trusted Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Pook said:

It seems some are confused about federal and state taxes. These are not federal taxes but your state taxes. I don't care if there is waste in state government, I have no problem paying taxes online just as if I were shopping locally and it's only fair to the local businesses that online retailers do to!

Local businesses that don't ship only have to deal with paying local, state and federal taxes, but Internet firms would have to deal with something like 1,900 jurisdictions. They'll have to pay someone--most likely--to handle this headache. Internet companies pay their own taxes locally as well as provide jobs, and many of them eat the cost of labor, packing materials, shipping, and the problems that come with lost/damaged packages. No confusion about the type of taxes either. I'm simply illustrating how few entities a local business has to deal with compared to mass net taxing.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 1/6/2015 Pook said:

It seems some are confused about federal and state taxes. These are not federal taxes but your state taxes. I don't care if there is waste in state government, I have no problem paying taxes online just as if I were shopping locally and it's only fair to the local businesses that online retailers do to!

Local businesses that don't ship only have to deal with paying local, state and federal taxes, but Internet firms would have to deal with something like 1,900 jurisdictions. They'll have to pay someone--most likely--to handle this headache. Internet companies pay their own taxes locally as well as provide jobs, and many of them eat the cost of labor, packing materials, shipping, and the problems that come with lost/damaged packages. No confusion about the type of taxes either. I'm simply illustrating how few entities a local business has to deal with compared to mass net taxing.

If consumers could be trusted to pay the tax they fairly owe (rather than seeing an opportunity to obtain an unfairly cheaper price), this wouldn't be an issue for retailers. But they have proven they can't.

Typically, a local business that doesn't ship charges every customer the prevailing state/local tax on any taxable good they sell, and then it is up to the consumer to seek a refund if they have paid a higher tax than their own state/local district would have charged. Rather than putting the burden of collecting and paying taxes for all different states and local districts on the retailers though, another more fair (but still not perfect) solution would be to have internet companies charge all customers (regardless of location/shipping destination) the appropriate tax for wherever the retailer is located. That still hurts smaller business more than larger ones (who can have multiple locations and be domiciled anywhere...which I'm sure would mean an influx of online retailers to the states with the lowest sales taxes). And it still requires consumers to know the tax they should be paying and to pay it directly.

Edited to correct a mistake and clarify a thought.