Honored Contributor

Re: Since it is Equal Pay Day I'd like Your Input

I can only make judgements on my own work experience. I can't judge on the experiences of others.  My own experience is that, while there are loser men, women outnumber them. 

Women bring their personal life into work, those with children expect privileges not afforded men and child free women. Personally, I would much rather work with men.

Esteemed Contributor

O.M.G.
Trusted Contributor

Those of you who prefer working with males, that is fine and good but don't you think females should have the same opportunities and chances?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

It's not that women haven't opportunities, otherwise there wouldn't be women in top positions. To generalize, women entered the workplace and instead of adopting the, when in Rome, attitude they went about expecting the same behavior from men as they expected socially. How could there not be resentment?

Honored Contributor

My thoughts if it is between this "great guy" and yourself?

I say a 50-50 chance you will be offered the job?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Equal pay is not about who will get a promotion,it is about both men and women getting equal pay for doing the same job.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Equal pay is not about who will get a promotion,it is about both men and women getting equal pay for doing the same job.

@151949

Do male nurses get paid more than the female nurses? If so, say one's career has been 25 years and the other about 5 years. Does a nurse's experience mean anything when it comes to how much they are paid?

I know I much prefer a nurse that has put in hundreds, if not more, IV's to stick it in my arm than I do someone that does it once a month or less.

I feel only so much learning can come from reading and/or studying a book or classes, the rest comes with "on the job experience". Those that possess that experience, in my opinion, should be paid more accordingly, Male or Female.

Gender doesn't matter to me in my example above. What I said applies to both Male and Female nurses that start out their careers the same day at the same hospital doing the same job. The should both be paid exactly the same.

When experience means nothing in certain jobs and/or professions, we are going to have a tough time getting things done right.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hockeynut, what does your rant about experienced nurses have to do with both genders getting equal pay.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@hockeynut, what does your rant about experienced nurses have to do with both genders getting equal pay.

Guess you don't want to answer my questions. Rant? Not that word again.

Maybe some other person here might answer, what I thought, were reasonable questions. And you were a nurse, eh?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

OP--I hope you get the job.  In my profession, social work, you were basically paid for your position, with some raises for years served--I think it is the same for teachers and nurses.  The bigger $ is in administration and the men tend to want those jobs and the women tend to self-select to be direct service workers.  If women apply to be administrators, there isn't discrimination.