Honored Contributor

Re: Silver Sneakers fitness?

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 PARTICIPATING YMCA only. Clearly, the 2 we go to in Pa & Fl are not participating as I already described what we have to do.No problem going to both on our silver sneakers but when we arrive we have to reregister and when we leave we have to stop our membership so we can reregister at the other end. I wonder how many YMCAs are participating in this program? 

It appears to be additional membership fee so you could not use it with silver sneakers.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@Cakers3  No - I've belonged to my YMCA for 8 years now and they have never had special classes for seniors. You go to a class and do as much as you are able. Some classes are simpler than others for sure - the varthritis class in water aerobics was where I started out - now I do turbo move.

@151949  I understand what you are saying but I think some here are confusing Silver Sneakers with specialized programs.

Our Y calls the senior classes "Silver Sneakers Yoga" or "SS Strenght"  or "SS Rumba" etc.  However, you don't have to be a senior to attend those classes.

The SS program simply pays for the gym membership; whether that gym offers senior classes is another story.  Some gyms severely restrict SS members as to what they can use.

We have SS but only use the resistance machines, bikes, and free weights.  We tried some of the "SS" classes but prefer the "regular" gym .

I am just suprpised that in your neck of the woods there are not senior geared programs at your Y, be they SS or not. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3  As I said before - not ALL YMCA are the same . OK - fine- that is what YOUR local Y has - that does not mean it will be what we have. I get a printout of available classes each month and I've NEVER seen "senior" or "silver sneakers" classes. My Y doesn't have that - your Y does.

GEEZE. Your welcome to be as surprized as you want.

Esteemed Contributor

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding. Found out the neither my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan nor my Humana plan is eligible for silver sneakers. Bummer.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

I don't like the name Silver Sneakers.  Sounds condescending to me.  How about Senior Fitness? 

I don't wear silver sneakers and I color my hair, thank you veddy much.  

Honored Contributor

Oh my.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949wrote:

@Cakers3  As I said before - not ALL YMCA are the same . OK - fine- that is what YOUR local Y has - that does not mean it will be what we have. I get a printout of available classes each month and I've NEVER seen "senior" or "silver sneakers" classes. My Y doesn't have that - your Y does.

@151949  Ok already.  Just chatting.  GEEZE.  There is no dialoguing with some people.

Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Image result for panties in a knot

Honored Contributor

@Elri wrote:

I don't like the name Silver Sneakers.  Sounds condescending to me.  How about Senior Fitness? 

I don't wear silver sneakers and I color my hair, thank you veddy much.  

@Elri   I don't care if they call it Silver Sneakers or Fitness for Old People.

As long as it's free.  I don't wear "silver sneakers" either but give me a free pair and all would be good in that area, too. 

LOL

Honored Contributor

My insurance company will pay 90 dollars toward any type of physical activity you want to get into. Our local Community Center offered Silver Sneakers, but it was not popular, I don't know why.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@151949wrote:

@151949  Ok already.  Just chatting.  GEEZE.  There is no dialoguing with some people.

Smiley TongueSmiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Image result for panties in a knot

Never happen.