Honored Contributor

Re: Silver Sneakers fitness?

This is my experience in my neck of the woods and only mine, so some others may find things a tad different.

Silver Sneakers has specialized programs for seniors-e.g., chair yoga. 

Some locations such as LA FItness will let you in ONLY for those SS classes/programs.

They will not let you attend other "regular" classes or use fitness equiment.

The "Y" we attend has the SS classes (senior zumba, senior yoga, senior strength and one other) and we can use free weights, resistance machines, bikes, treadmills, etc. and the pool during designated times.

Sometimes the Y will offer a special class that requires additional $$; even with SS you have to pay for those.

Membership, though, is always free.

We also had a free inital evaluation and trainer; and like regular members the trainers on duty always answer questions for free. 

You can get private training session but you pay for those even with SS.

So even if a particular place offers SS, you have to check if it only offers the SS classes for you or if you can use the whole facility.

HTH

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor took advantage of the SS program at our local gym. However, it was for designated classes only and not for use in the entire facility. HTH

Respected Contributor

Also, your spouse may get a reduced price if they are under 65 (that would be me😎).

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3wrote:

This is my experience in my neck of the woods and only mine, so some others may find things a tad different.

Some locations such as LA FItness will let you in ONLY for those SS classes/programs.

The "Y" we attend has the SS classes (senior zumba, senior yoga, senior strength and one other) and we can use free weights, resistance machines, bikes, treadmills, etc. and the pool during designated times.

Sometimes the Y will offer a special class that requires additional $$; even with SS you have to pay for those.

We also had a free inital evaluation and trainer; and like regular members the trainers on duty always answer questions for free. 

So even if a particular place offers SS, you have to check if it only offers the SS classes for you or if you can use the whole facility.

HTH

Very similar to your experience:

My mother became eligible for Medicare a little over a year ago, and her Medicare Advantage plan included the Silver Sneakers program.

There are many, mostly senior-oriented, fitness activities that are provided free of charge, but she also had the option of having a personal trainer work with her by appointment, at a reduced cost. She decided to go ahead and pay for the extra sessions in order to work on specific issues related to some recent health issues.

All in all, I think it is a great program, worthwhile to seek it out if offered in your plan and in your area.

Trusted Contributor

@Highlands72wrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

HTH

My mother became eligible for Medicare a little over a year ago, and her Medicare Advantage plan included the Silver Sneakers program.

There are many, mostly senior-oriented, fitness activities that are provided free of charge, but she also had the option of having a personal trainer work with her by appointment, at a reduced cost. She decided to go ahead and pay for the extra sessions in order to work on specific issues related to some recent health issues.

All in all, I think it is a great program, worthwhile to seek it out if offered in your plan and in your area.

WOW! A personal trainer at a reduced fee, how lucky is she & good for her. That's a great plan. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72wrote:

@Cakers3wrote:

HTH

At our YMCA we have full use of the entire facility, all the classes, the pool anytime the swim team isn't using it.(no one can use it during those times). I can take any of the classes they offer. I do have to pay for a personal trainer but it is at a reduced price - and some classes offer a free hour with a trainer. I've personally never heard of "senior yoga" or "senior zumba" - our gym only offers regular classes for any age.

Respected Contributor

I have Kaiser insurance and the senior gym program they have is called Silver and Fit. I found a gym I like (Fitness 19) that was on the approved list and Kaiser sent me an approval letter. I took it to the gym, there was no enrollment fee and only a liability document to sign. I have to check my attendance on a sheet when I come in, that's it. I can use any machine and it is free. Special classes like boot camp costs extra for any member of the gym. Once in awhile I get a pin or a hat in the mail to encourage me. 

Honored Contributor

My husband and I both get free gym memberships through our medical insurance for Silver Sneakers.  We are each 70.  My husband retired last month, and we got an advantage type medicare insurance.  We had been going to Snap Fitness for 7 years before his retirement.  The manager informed us we might be eligible when we told him of retirement and the dreaded medicare.  He checked, and we were.!!!   We go to gym regularly, at the least 3 times a week.  He said, we wouldn't be in danger of loosing free membership, as we go often, but he did say, you have to check in at gym 6-8 times a month.  I am not sure how many times.  There are a couple senior gym plans with medicare! Silver Sneakers is one of them.  Your medicare insurance does check with gym periodically, and you will be dropped if you do not go minimum.  I love my Snap Fitness.  It is the only gym, I have ever stuck with in my entire life.  Even if I am in pain with RA or my herniated bad back,  I go.  Even if I just half heartedly putter around.  Keeps me in the habit of being there.

lately I am into The Beast.  That is a rope puller machine, like scaling a mountain.  My under arms (bat wings) don't  wave hello so much anymore.  

I exercise regularly, am 70 and have not so firm body anymore.  My legs, arms and butt, oh my.  I cannot imagine what they would look like if I didn't exercise.  Lol.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan and I am eligible for Silver Sneakers.  I receive a free gym membership at 24 Hour Fitness (there are other gyms that offer it) as well as a free class up to $46 per month at our local Parks and Recreation Dept. in our town.  I take water aerobics classes 2x a week for free.

Honored Contributor

By the way, you dont have to be retired to get gym benefits.  When my husband worked and we had regular insurance, a PPO  my husband received 250 a year for his gym.  I could have too, but never did it.  You had to to carry a tracker and walk so many steps a month.  Every insurance is different.  A side note:  they never told us this was availablre.  We found out through employees at his work.  Lol