Regular Contributor

Re: Signed Mom Up for Assisted Living at Last!!!

On 1/9/2015 Teacups said:
On 1/9/2015 terrier3 said:

How sad.

My mom was a handful too and took great glee in insulting me to tears.

But she was my mother and I cared for her out of respect and didn't regret doing so. She had NO money - I supported her.

If your mom has dementia - how are her actions HER fault?

right on Terrier...I took care of my Mom and Step dad too. I am glad I did!

Right on to both of you ... I'm sure you're glad you did what you did. We only get one mother.

OP, I'm surprised at the tone of your post. It's really not a good idea to share everything on a shopping channel forum. Especially something as heart-wrenching and personal as this story.

Esteemed Contributor

What horrid comments. None of us know what the particulars are of another's situation. I remember the OP's original thread and she did everything she could for her mother who just kept making her life miserable. We put both my mother in law and my father in assisted living facilities and guess what?? After a initial adjustment period they both loved living there. There were activities for them to participate in, people their own age to interact with, musical events etc. The staff took good care of them and took a huge burden off my DH and I while we were both working full time and trying to raise two children under 12.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2015 momma3gs said:
On 1/9/2015 Teacups said:
On 1/9/2015 terrier3 said:

How sad.

My mom was a handful too and took great glee in insulting me to tears.

But she was my mother and I cared for her out of respect and didn't regret doing so. She had NO money - I supported her.

If your mom has dementia - how are her actions HER fault?

right on Terrier...I took care of my Mom and Step dad too. I am glad I did!

Right on to both of you ... I'm sure you're glad you did what you did. We only get one mother.

OP, I'm surprised at the tone of your post. It's really not a good idea to share everything on a shopping channel forum. Especially something as heart-wrenching and personal as this story.

She can post anything she wants on this forum.....heart-wrenching and personal??? Have you read the Bill Cosby thread????

Super Contributor

OP, I am so sorry for your situation and support your decision. It's the judgment on this thread that is so incredibly sad. To those posters, remember, you have to first walk in someone else's shoes and these are not cookie cutter situations.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 muttmom said:

When it comes to caring for our elderly parents, we must do what we think is best for all involved.

OP, I remember your post. I know this is not an easy decision.

Well said.

Respected Contributor

How did you do this without your mom's agreement? Curious.

Also, OP, don't let the negative replies get to you. No one knows what you know, and you have made the best choice for you and your Mom. No one makes such a decision lightly.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

Taking care of an elderly parent is difficult when they are cooperative. When they can't or won't work with you, it is extremely exhausting. Only you know within yourself if you've made the right choice for your family. I know that it could not have been an easy decision. I wish you and your mother and the rest of your family well.
Regular Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Justina rae said:

OP, I am so sorry for your situation and support your decision. It's the judgment on this thread that is so incredibly sad. To those posters, remember, you have to first walk in someone else's shoes and these are not cookie cutter situations.

I don't know the OP or her mother and I'm not judging what she did with her mother. And I have walked in her shoes.

I do, however, question the somewhat gleeful tone (replete with animated graphics) of her post. It's a very sad situation for everyone involved, I'm sure.

And what, pray tell, does the Bill Cosby thread - which I didn't read - have to do with this?

Respected Contributor

Don't worry. She may end up loving it there. And like croemer said, watch the billing carefully.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I think children of elderly parents do what they believe is best for their family.

In my culture, we take in our elderly. It's just a given. My mom & dad lived with my DH, DD and me until my dad died. My mom lived with me until she passed 4 years later. My grandparents lived with us while I was growing up until they, too, passed.

My DD and SIL informed me that when the time comes, they will have a place for me. That gives me peace of mind.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown