Honored Contributor

Re: Sick & Tired of All the Tainted Salad Issues

@tantallum wrote:

@brii wrote:
My mil soaks all her lettuce in soapy water. She uses a small amount and rinses multiple times. I always thought it was strange, but she might be on to something. Lol

I could be wrong but I think the issue with lettuce is it is actually INSIDE the lettuce, not on the outside.  the lettuce 'drinks' up contaminated water so it is inside.  that is why washing is good, but cannot necessarily remove all risk with regards to produce. 

Edit to add; I obviously posted this before I read @Noel7 's post! Smiley Very Happy

@Tantallum

Yes, it certainly can be, you and I are on the same page.

Respected Contributor

I agree with all of you......

mominohio..... I'm with you ! I worry all the time if I'm washing my veggies and fruit good enough. You just don't know what we are being exposed to anymore.

I don't trust wording on products either.

I worry if all the bottled SPRING water eveyone drinks is safe.

More and more people are suffering from contaminated food and polluted water.

Honored Contributor

Maybe eating hydroponic is the way to go
Trusted Contributor

@brii wrote:
Maybe eating hydroponic is the way to go

I've been considering this for a few weeks now.  I used to think that it was crazy, now, not so much.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Trusted Contributor

I just got back from Kroger and looked at the Romaine lettuce.  It had red dirt all over it, all of them.   I passed and decided to get leaf lettuce that looked better.   I got some Kale too.   I've never seen that red dust/dirt before.   I just didn't want to buy something coated in that.   It's unusual because that store usually has nice looking produce.

The romaine just looked gross.   I wash mine excessively too.  I also have a lettuce drier that helps get all the moisture out after washing.   

I noticed that they still had bags of Fresh Selections (a brand that was on the recall list) on the shelf there.

I had to laugh, the organic kale was only 99 cents yet the regular celery was $2.50.   

I have orange trees in my yard.   I tell you, there is nothing like a fresh orange every morning... no pesticides, nothing... just fresh from the tree. I don't even buy oranges anymore at the store.  

Honored Contributor

I think these things always occurred and they aren't common at all, they are very rare. 

we just hear about them today, mutlple times for days and days. So it seems like it's huge problem and people are dropping dead by the hundreds after eating tainted produce. That certainly is not  the case. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think these things always occurred and they aren't common at all, they are very rare. 

we just hear about them today, mutlple times for days and days. So it seems like it's huge problem and people are dropping dead by the hundreds after eating tainted produce. That certainly is not  the case. 

Also, distribution occurs in greater numbers over a greater geographical area today. Where once an outbreak would be local, over several counties or maybe statewide, now it can be nationwide and that in itself is more newsworthy than a dozen people in one county somewhere.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Regarding produce from Mexico - we have always eaten it but there were no labeling laws until recent years. 

Esteemed Contributor

In most states, a sample of each production run, be it a canned item, milk item, meat/poultry or produce, is sent to a lab for microbiological testing. 

One other worrisome factor is safety and sanitation of the processing plant/manufacturing plant, in addition to each and every employee and their individual practices while at work.  Supervisors are needed to insure that employees are not cutting corners.  Of course, in so many instances it's the folks at corp who have cut the bucks, so frankly I would place a fair amount of blame on them.

Also, I  eat nothing produced in our neighbor south of the border nor anything from across the Pacific.

Honored Contributor

My mom (grew up on a farm) would wash and wash everything..........Actually, just thinking about it, all sorts of critters, crawling on and over even organic produce, during the night.  Not to mention the birds 'p**ing on the top.  Better to wash and wash before eating/cooking.  I'm guessing that many years ago, people's stomachs were more used to their 'natural' foods.  Now-a-days, not so much. It has to be chemically sanitized, or the possibility of stomach problems arise.  Just thinking of many/maybe most Americans not being able to eat produce south of the border, years ago.  (Just thinking out loud, right or wrong.......)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).