Respected Contributor

Re: Show your vehicle some love

@SurferWife wrote:

I start my Detroit muscle every morning just to listen to her bad-a$$!  Thank you Dodge brothers!!

@SurferWife 

Thanks for making me laugh!

Image result for dog pictures

doxie

Honored Contributor

unless your battery is old and needs replacing.... having your car sit for a long time is really not an issue. .

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Thread on this already.

And I forgot it already, so I appreciate @I am still oxox  providing this reminder.

I have limited RAM, and I don't think I  can be upgraded. Cat Sad

Respected Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I start my Detroit muscle every morning just to listen to her bad-a$$!  Thank you Dodge brothers!!

@SurferWife 

doxie

Ooh, great idea. I'll have the cats take the old jalopy for a run.

cat-driving-uber-500x330.jpg

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I take my dog for a ride.  🙂

That's what my daughter has been doing!

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@I am still oxox There was a big discussion about this on our local NextDoor site. And I was told this by a mechanic ages ago: Don't just start the car, drive it around for at least 10 minutes to keep the oil flowing and the battery charged. Do this at least once a week.

It's always worked for me!

@Love my grandkids 

My husband is a mechanic, and this is spot on. It's hard on cars to just run a few minutes. 

Car parts are like human parts, they need to be used and run through the paces to stay 'healthy'. 

Parts need oiled, belts and hoses get stiff and dried out. 

Driving a car once a week for about a half hour is really best for it. Sitting mechanical things lock up, dry out, get gummy.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@SurferWife 

doxie

Ooh, great idea. I'll have the cats take the old jalopy for a run.

cat-driving-uber-500x330.jpg

@noodleann 

Oh My! That cat is funny. It looks like I feel at times.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I agree with the poster who said don't just start it up, but drive it around.

As somebody who hasn't worked now for a number of years, I started finding myself going through car batteries.  I could not figure out what the heck was going on until one of the AAA guys told me that it's because I drive so little.

He told me to get a 'Battery Tender Jr' and plug that in from time to time to charge up the battery, or you can just leave it in all the time but I was afraid that I would forget to unplug it and drive off.

It plugs into your battery and then into an electric outlet.  I back into my garage and right where the right front of my vehicle is, I have some outlets, in the front end of my garage.

Every few weeks I plug it in and let it go until it shows that the battery is all charged up.  It was a very small expense and ever since then I don't have dying batteries.  I just wish somebody about three batteries back told me that instead of just selling me new batteries.  It's been years now with no issues.

But, the big point is that if you no longer drive your vehicle much, it will sit there and the battery WILL run down.  It won't kill you battery, just run it down to nothing and one day you won't be able to start your car w/o a charge.    Keeping the battery somewhat charged up is all you need.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 I get that Smiley Happy but I am a worry wart kind of when it comes to my car! And since I've been doing that for 40 years at 72 I'm too old to change! I just feel better when I know all is well with it!

Honored Contributor

How to Clean Your Car to Reduce the Spread of the Coronavirus

https://www.kbb.com/articles/car-advice/how-to-clean-your-car-of-the-coronavirus/?psid=20173&siomid=...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein