Honored Contributor

Re: Show your vehicle some love

@I am still oxox : Good advice. I need to take "Tina" for a spin-- haven't used her in over a week.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Most of us are not going any where so it might be a good idea to at least start your car every few days, otherwise road side service might be swamped when this is all over

@I am still oxox 

before this virus, i didn't drive much because i work from home. years ago, i bought a trickle (sp) battery charger and keep my car plugged in, so to speak. i did this because i knew good and well that i would not do what you suggested.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

unless your battery is old and needs replacing.... having your car sit for a long time is really not an issue. .

I'm here to second this about having an old battery!  A week ago this past Monday I was going to go out for what I thought at the time was one last grocery run, but my battery was dead (I had last used my car 3 days earlier), and totally my fault. I was waiting for the perfect moment at Sam's Club when there wasn't much going on in the service department, but I kept putting it off.  Lesson learned.

I called my car insurance road assistance, and they had someone there within 15 minutes, so off to Sam's Club.  I was the only customer for car service so was able to get in immediately and got a new battery and four new tires, on sale, with one tire being free.

So the bad news was, shame on me for procrastinating, but the good news is I have a new battery and new tires, and hopefully learned a lesson.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 

Our car is named Holly or Hollywood Honda Smiley Happy

@handygal2 wrote:

@I am still oxox : Good advice. I need to take "Tina" for a spin-- haven't used her in over a week.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

unless your battery is old and needs replacing.... having your car sit for a long time is really not an issue. .

I don't know what you are considering a long time, but you really shouldn't leave a car sit for more than two weeks.