Valued Contributor

Re: Shouldn't everyone be told to stay home?

It's really sad & stupid not to stay home as much as possible. We live in NY State so ther's now here to go anyway. We only go out if it's something we really need. Most stores here dedicate the first hour to seniors. We go to a small local grocery store. We get what we need & get out. I have two 97 year old parents that are not getting it. Every other day they want something. I told them to make a list! We are not going out everyday! Malls, theathers, dining in are all closed. My husband is a manager at A car dealership & they are not essential. Their shop will be open with a 25% workforce. Why anyone would want to go into a crowded space is beyond me!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

It seems that banks (drive-thru),  pharamacies, grocery stores, and gas stations would be open at least for certain hours.  And police, firefighters, and EMTs would be working along with our medical community to provide care and keep us safe. Truck drivers also need to keep on truckin'. People should absolutely not be out unless necessary. Let's use common sense.

You have to add to that people making/processing all the products for the truckers to deliver to the grocery stores, pharmacies, and hospitals.  Without them working we would have absolute chaos.  People would be fighting over the few remaining supplies since there would be no promise that stock was returning.  There's also utility workers to keep our electricity, water, etc. going, and radio and TV so we have communication.  Gov. Cuomo even considered keeping the internet up and running an essential service (at least for me that's true).  He was also pretty much begging businesses that could change over their manufacturing to produce simple medical supplies and equipment.  That's gonna require people too.  So, that's a lot of people out there working, and none of those are jobs that can be done from home.  I'm sure there are more essential jobs than even that.

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88

HAHA GOOD ONE!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Silly me I thought it was country-wide that they were asking people to stay home and if they did need to go out for necessities to be aware of the social distancing thing, use wipes, wash hands, don't touch your face, etc....

I was surprised about California.  It's one of the most heavily populated states and has some of the highest numbers for this virus, they should be staying home and only going out when absolutely necessary and then taking the precautions like the rest of us.

I'm not in a high risk area yet people here seem to be taking this seriously and following the government/medical recommendations.

Woman Frustrated

@jellyBEAN, what about California?  By that I mean what have I missed?   We are on a statewide lockdown, with only the essential places being open.   Of course there are those ignoring it, but I don't know if I missed some news about us?  Honestly I have really cut down on how much I can watch this.   And really, who in Cal didn't see this coming with this being the place to bring everybody to quarantine initially and then from the cruise ships. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still going to work, I work for child protective services and sadly children are still being removed and they are asking for workers to be mobile but you can't do everything from home. I'm an AA and we were given the option to work from home for the next two weeks but you have to justify what you are doing. My works is completed at the end of the day and I need a scanner and printer. The workers send me advisements and court reports to submit, I can't do that from home. I may leave early and handle emails and on line trainings for a couple of hours but that's about it. I wish I could stay. And we are more than 10, yesterday our small break room was maxed way past 10 people during lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BrandiDavis, Another thing, the misinformation at people's workplaces. At first, dd (a mental health counselor at a medical facility, they do a lot for low income and aids patients) she was told they were going to get it set up for her to work at home, Then the powers that be changed their minds gonna have to go to work, see people- keep at a distance. Changed minds again, gonna make arrangements for mental health folks to stay home. It has changed yet again, she is having to go in, and doing teletherapy.

About same thing with dh, except he works at a nuclear plant, he does a lot of computer work. At first, he was sent email by management, saying they were gonna fix it where he could work from home, which he has done before anyway, before this virus. Then it was all non essential personel were gonna work from home and now,  no talk of anybody working from home anymore. Also, they had talked about sequestering people out there. Now they are talking of laying some of them off, but it won't be him and I wish it would be. Who knows how that mess will end up.

I am beginning to think a lot of folks have freaked out and just don't know what to do. And it is showing that some businesses seem to care a lot more about their workers than others, unfortunately.

Schools are out here, have been for a week or so. My friend works at wal mart, says people are still bringing their kids in there! We have two wal marts and both offer pick up, where you just order and they put it in your car for you. Now, and letting them run amuck. We have curbside service at both the wal marts here, you just order, an associate can sign the thing for you saying you recieved it so you don't even have to touch anything.

No way I'd be taking a kid in to wal mart.

People need to ask themselves, "would I rather be stuck at home, or in the hospital" And act accordingly.

Respected Contributor

Here in Anchorage the mayor told us to "hunker down". I think that means shelter in place. So many business have been closed like dental, vet, eye care, nail clinics, that there really isn't any places to go.

Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@BrandiDavis, Another thing, the misinformation at people's workplaces. At first, dd (a mental health counselor at a medical facility, they do a lot for low income and aids patients) she was told they were going to get it set up for her to work at home, Then the powers that be changed their minds gonna have to go to work, see people- keep at a distance. Changed minds again, gonna make arrangements for mental health folks to stay home. It has changed yet again, she is having to go in, and doing teletherapy.

About same thing with dh, except he works at a nuclear plant, he does a lot of computer work. At first, he was sent email by management, saying they were gonna fix it where he could work from home, which he has done before anyway, before this virus. Then it was all non essential personel were gonna work from home and now,  no talk of anybody working from home anymore. Also, they had talked about sequestering people out there. Now they are talking of laying some of them off, but it won't be him and I wish it would be. Who knows how that mess will end up.

I am beginning to think a lot of folks have freaked out and just don't know what to do. And it is showing that some businesses seem to care a lot more about their workers than others, unfortunately.

Schools are out here, have been for a week or so. My friend works at wal mart, says people are still bringing their kids in there! We have two wal marts and both offer pick up, where you just order and they put it in your car for you. Now, and letting them run amuck. We have curbside service at both the wal marts here, you just order, an associate can sign the thing for you saying you recieved it so you don't even have to touch anything.

No way I'd be taking a kid in to wal mart.

People need to ask themselves, "would I rather be stuck at home, or in the hospital" And act accordingly.

@happycat  Yes, you are exactly right! I really hope that most businesses will implement some type of disaster protocol(s) after all of this is over with. Well, I guess they could start on it now, but definitely have a complete protocol in place in case something like this does ever happen again. 

No one was prepared for this at all. IMO I don't think anyone thought it would make its way to the U.S. and I think we are now starting to learn that it may have been here long before we even thought initially! 

I also agree with you that Walmart is no place for a child right now either. Oh, and I love your last line. What a good question for folks to ask themselves!! Especially the ones who are being selfish re the stay put requests being made. 

~ Hope in TN ~
Super Contributor

I get what you are saying and agree.  If all the states shut down then we have a higher chance of slowing down this virus and possibly be able to open things up again sooner rather than later.  The map shows all states have cases, so if all states have the same rules, then it may really help. 

Valued Contributor

@smb3 wrote:

I get what you are saying and agree.  If all the states shut down then we have a higher chance of slowing down this virus and possibly be able to open things up again sooner rather than later.  The map shows all states have cases, so if all states have the same rules, then it may really help. 

@smb3  Yes, exactly! I wish people would look at it that way!! If we ALL step up to the plate and stay put for 2 weeks, it would definitely help slow the virus! Maybe even stop it!  But instead it appears as though people want to just go on w/their lives as normal putting OTHER people in jeopardy and it's just not right. 

~ Hope in TN ~