Honored Contributor

Re: Should you test positive for covid-19...

my guess is is that some may already have it.......but dont know it.......and may never know they had it.......

that doesnt answer the question though......i may or may not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my guess is is that some may already have it.......but dont know it.......and may never know they had it.......

that doesnt answer the question though......i may or may not.

ITA @sunshine45, probablity wise, at least one on this board has the virus and doesn't even know it.  It is surprising that so many are totally asymptomatic and yet shedding that virus to beat the band to expose so many others.

I read one account from Italy in which the father was the one infected and never had one symptom.  But he exposed 3 members of his family that became acutely ill.  He never had symptom one, but continued to test positive for the virus for a period of a couple of weeks.  Evidently, this isn't all that uncommon.  Kind of scary. 

I don't know if I would post about it or not.  Guess it would depend on how sick I got.  If I was really sick, the last thing I would be thinking about is posting.  However, after surviving I might be so grateful that I would post just to be alive and able to post!  lol

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were quick to announce they had contracted the virus. If it's comfortable enough for them, why should anyone feel the need to hide their situation?  

It's not an illness to be ashamed of, or that should have some type of stigma attached. It's affecting thousands, and spreading.  

Personally, I'd like to hear reports from some who have experienced the virus. What they learned from it.  What helped, or what didn't.  Their advice for others. 

This is a time to share knowledge, as we're all in this thing together.  If we manage to not become infected, that's great.  For those less lucky, they may feel a need to openly connect with others about their experience.  I hope they would be supported in doing so.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't know why not. Probably be too sick. 

I'm still wondering if this was already here last year say in Nov?

@Nightowlz I have a friend that got sick in November and it took many doctors visits and weeks for her and her husband to start to feel normal again.

At every single doctors visit they got were told it was viral.

They would take three steps forward and two steps back, just when they thought they were feeling better the next day they would be back in pj's on the couch for days.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A QVC UK host has been diagnosed presumptive positive and has discussed it on her social media pages as they are isolating. Nothing wrong with that but it's a personal decision.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were quick to announce they had contracted the virus. If it's comfortable enough for them, why should anyone feel the need to hide their situation?  

It's not an illness to be ashamed of, or that should have some type of stigma attached. It's affecting thousands, and spreading.  

Personally, I'd like to hear reports from some who have experienced the virus. What they learned from it.  What helped, or what didn't.  Their advice for others. 

This is a time to share knowledge, as we're all in this thing together.  If we manage to not become infected, that's great.  For those less lucky, they may feel a need to openly connect with others about their experience.  I hope they would be supported in doing so.

@BlueFinch   Well good for Tom and Rita.  Their decision isn't the standard for the rest of the world. 

If people do not want to share, that is fine.  If people do want to share, that is fine.

If those infected want to share and connect, great.  Not everyone will.

Support would be available minus a troll or two.  You know this.

Getting tired of reading how people are "ashamed" or "hiding".  That is pure nonsense. 

Nobody should be guilted into sharing a personal story.  Nobody.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 I guess you got me told, didn't you Woman Wink. Feeling better?

What I was trying to communicate was that this illness needn't be any different than any other.  Posters (this forum and others) never seem to have an issue sharing when they've been ill, or gone through certain procedures. It's commonplace.

Any suggestion that this illness is different,  says to me, that many will view the infected as Typhoid Mary, if they disclose.

Everyone has a right to only share what they feel comfortable with regarding their personal medical information.  We ALL know this.  I KNOW this, as a retired healthcare professional.  I just hope those who want to share won't hold back, for fear of some kind of irrational judgment.

I would have no issues disclosing myself, if the time came. I would want to reach out when I could, to hopefully reassure others, if I managed to beat it. Of course, you do what you want.   

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Cakers3 I guess you got me told, didn't you Woman Wink. Feeling better?

What I was trying to communicate was that this illness needn't be any different than any other.  Posters (this forum and others) never seem to have an issue sharing when they've been ill, or gone through certain procedures. It's commonplace.

Any suggestion that this illness is different,  says to me, that many will view the infected as Typhoid Mary, if they disclose.

Everyone has a right to only share what they feel comfortable with regarding their personal medical information.  We ALL know this.  I KNOW this, as a retired healthcare professional.  I just hope those who want to share won't hold back, for fear of some kind of irrational judgment.

I would have no issues disclosing myself, if the time came. I would want to reach out when I could, to hopefully reassure others, if I managed to beat it. Of course, you do what you want.   

@BlueFinch I have posted here for many years and based on how I have seen perfectly innocent posts totally misconstrued, I would think twice about "sharing". Reason being that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone decided to call someone who contracts the virus "not careful enough and they went outside their home and caught it." A disease such as diabetes, we have someone who often posts that it is a choice. Unless you do X Y and Z, you are culpable.The blame game is alive and well on social media. I have seen threads about MRSA turn into brawls years ago so it is definitely something to consider before "sharing."

Esteemed Contributor

I agree completely that the I Told You So would explode here and the poster would be lectured that it was their own fault for not heeding the warnings of the Know It Alls.

I've already seen several Ha Ha Told You So posts.  One this morning bordered on being horrific and was thankfully expunged.  

This place can be as nasty as anything on social media.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 @Johnnyeager Yes, I know that baiting and trolling is a systemic problem throughout social media.  I was on a forum on Amazon for many years that could get horrible, even physical threats.  Some by high profile people (most of you would know), who felt the rules did not apply to them. Unbelievable entitlement.   

Trust me, there are some obnoxious authors I would never buy a book from again. Ammyy finally shut it down. It could happen here, too, if the Q gets tired of moderating for inappropriate behaviors.  

Such people receive secondary gain by trolling, or hurting others. It's important to not let them have that gain by ignoring them. They rabidly seek engagement, that we must not reward.  

If I think I can be of support to just one person, while weeding through an invasive troll patch, I'll still give it a try.  But, I understand that most will choose to be self protective and not put themselves out there. It's a sad situation.