Honored Contributor

Re: Should women have to register for the draft?

I believe the draft should only be used in wartime, when this country is in great peril, and that women should be included.

I am glad we already acknowledge conscientious objectors.

Women have already fought in war, all the way back to the Civil War, and probably before.  Women flew missions in WW2 and worked in other ways.  The now Queen Elizabeth drove an ambulance and learned mechanics in order to make repairs.

Women took over much of shipbuilding and other war factory jobs.  Women have always acted as spies for their country.

Respected Contributor

Yes.

Valued Contributor

Yes.  Women want equal rights - that's fine - and the draft falls under that heading...

Honored Contributor

Absolutely yes!  Women want equal rights; with that comes equal responsibility.   Most jobs in the military could easily be done by women.  As a veteran of our armed forces, I've always felt women should make their contribution to our freedoms.  It would also serve to teach job skills and aid in acquiring maturity.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, equality does go both ways, if men are drafted, so should women be drafted.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my daughter is no more precious to me than my son.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Yes.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Yes because it's an equality issue, if men have to sign up for selective service then women should too. BUT.......... I don't believe in the draft at all, let it be 100% voluntary.

@JaneMarple  The trouble with an all-volunteer army is that the same people have to go over and over to the same hell-holes in the mid-East.  Do you think it's fair that Americans are stationed for years in a place like Baghdad where summer temps soar to 120° and you have no A/C?  Some people have served 4+ tours there, and I'm sure they'd rather be somewhere else, like home with their families.

I'd say we're testing their patience and there may come a time when they can't get volunteers.  We're asking too much of them and theyre getting fed up.  Then what?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Probably not at the same time.  Unless the mom takes the children with her, and there is free daycare in whatever country they are drafted/deployed (to).   Taking both parents away seems rather counter-productive (to me), unless there are grandparents and/or relatives to raise and care for the children here in the USA.   'All in all' not all women are combat qualified.  Probably more men than woman are.  Just guessing, though.  I've not been a fan of 'the draft', and it seems as though the volunteer approach has been doing just fine, more or less, and so far.  Wishing everyone good luck, no matter what.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

As the grandmother of 5 granddaughters I say "Yes" the should.

Three of them are under 10 years old.  The two sisters are soon 13 and 14.  They are very intelligent, healthy (in mind and body) and I think one day they will be able to contribute amazing things to this country.

It's true women don't have the physical strength males do.  However, I believe the military of the future won't involve knowing strength.  I believe it will involve light arms and mostly using one's intelligence.