Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should women have to register for the draft?

Yes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Yes. To exclude women is in essence putting a higher value on their lives then the lives of men. Equal rights, equal responsibility, equal risk.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mactective wrote:

Yes.  Registering for the draft doesn't mean that women would necessarily serve in combat.  Women have always been supportive in times of war.  We've worked in hospitals, in ammunition factories and covered the jobs that men had before they left for war.  I don't see this really being any different.  Women can serve in many ways.  If we have to go to war and young men have to sacrifice their lives to protect our country, I don't see any reason why we should not do our part as well.

If women are more qualified for combat then they should be involved.  I would be a far better pilot than most of the men I work with.  For MANY reasons.  So, they would be better off with me in the seat rather than them.  Now days there is a lot women could do to help on the shooting end of a conflict. Guide missles, drive vehicles, fly, run communications, etc. etc.

Respected Contributor

No.

Frequent Contributor

Exactly.  Which is why my post said not necessarily.  I don't think all women are suited for combat roles anymore than I think men are.  But I think the draft should encompass all the support that will be needed both domestic and foreign should we actually have war.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

No, They can join anytime they want to if they meet the qualifications.

@qualitygal Of course women can sign up for the military, but this is a question of whether they should be required to sign up for Selective Service as all 18 year old men must do.

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

No, They can join anytime they want to if they meet the qualifications.

@qualitygal Of course women can sign up for the military, but this is a question of whether they should be required to sign up for Selective Service as all 18 year old men must do.

@RazorSharp,

Ok, NO.

Honored Contributor

Yes...unless we're talking about women in their 60s.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely NO.  We have some special friends where both parents are involved in the military.  They have two young daughters, who are frequently left to grow up with grandparents. (Not a bad thing, but not optimum). Right now the Dad is in Afghanistan and the Mom (who is an officer) is also overseas - I honestly forget where she is. There is fighting there, however. Women have different needs from men - especially in personal hygiene, and there is no convenient way to handle those in a battlefield situation.  

If a woman wants to serve in the military, she is free to do so.  One of my girls did go into the military, and served overseas in a secretarial position. If you ask her today whether she would do it again, her answer will be a resounding NO.  I agree.