Honored Contributor

Re: Should law enforcement/military be involved?

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   Keep in mind I am talking about people who are defying an order from either local or state government.

At the very least they should be fined.

Again, I don't know what the answer is.  Everyone needs to do what they can to halt the progression of this.  If that means staying put, just do it.

A stay at home order won't work if some  people keep being stupid.

Does a law stop people from drinking and driving?

There will always be those who will defy laws, mandates, etc.

And those people suffer consequences for endangering or killing others on the road. You think we should all be able to drive both directions on the same side of the road? Everybody go at the same time at a four way intersection?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis 

Law Enforcement, yes. Military, no.  Saw video this morning of people standing shoulder to shoulder taking pictures of the US Navy Hospital Ship in New York. With the number of cases in serious condition, along with the number dying!  And people want a picture or video?  My guess is to post on their social media page.

I have nothing against people wanting to risk their own lives by doing, what I view, as stupid things. When they are endangering countless numbers of others?  Fines of high $$$$ are in order to put in some special Covid-19 fund.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely yes. The govenment has to keep us safe. That should always be its priority.

The idea that somehow we would then become a police state is ludicrous to me. This will end at some point. And when it does, I hope that we've done everything in our power to limit the cases and, most important, the deaths.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

With regards to the pandemic going on and those who are just blatantly disregarding the request/order not to congregate do you think law enforcement/military should be getting involved to enforce this?

I absolutely do. If people don't have common sense and sadly there are MANY that don't, then those people should be FORCED to have it. JMO They are not just putting their life in danger, but mine as well. 

Your thoughts?

It's mostly not the lack of common sense - it's the lack of empathy.

I agree, BTW.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:
And that  is exactly  what people were saying when AIDS first came on scene.

Round them up and dump them on an island.

@Anonymous032819 

Don't know where you heard people saying that, but it was not heard by me. I have thought about that many times, for criminals that commit the most horrific crimes. Thoughts and maybe verbally to my wife, but AIDS, really?  I missed those statements I guess!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Absolutely yes. The govenment has to keep us safe. That should always be its priority.

The idea that somehow we would then become a police state is ludicrous to me. This well end at some point. And when it does, I hope that we've done everything in our power to limit the cases and, most important, the deaths.

There are always those who would love to take something like this too far. They must always be guarded against. Case in point would be Hungary where they used the pandemic as an excuse to go full dictatorship. But an extreme outlier doesn't mean throw out all the rules and go full on Mad Max anarchy either. We have to use good judgement.

I'm other words I basically agree with you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  I nursed in the very first AIDS clinic in S.F.  This was a new disease all kinds of fear and stories about and believe me there were worse threats than ‘dump them’ on an island,  DH and I could not even rent an apartment when I put down where I worked - people backed away from me.

I think eventually when our researchers, etc., have really diagnosed what is going on more information will come out and we will have a clearer idea of exactly what is happening and what is best to do.

Like AIDS we live and learn and all this is very new - so I think we should do what we can and stay home as we are being told.  If the law/military  has to enforce this because of some idiots so be it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have mixed feelings about using law to enforce the order.  I do think that every time the police get a call about big groups, they should break up the gathering...but give tickets or fines???   Maybe warnings followed by fines???  Don't really know if the police force has the staff or time to follow up. 

But I also think there are some really ignorant and/or thoughtless people who will not stop congregating unless there is some kind of law enforcement.  What worries me is that within those gatherings, there may be several who have the bug without symptoms.

It may come to the point of a mandatory law with penalty! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   Keep in mind I am talking about people who are defying an order from either local or state government.

At the very least they should be fined.

Again, I don't know what the answer is.  Everyone needs to do what they can to halt the progression of this.  If that means staying put, just do it.

A stay at home order won't work if some  people keep being stupid.

Does a law stop people from drinking and driving?

There will always be those who will defy laws, mandates, etc.

For which there are consequences when caught.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

For those who say a resounding 'YES',

then how about,

-give up your keys to your car,

-turn in your driver's license,

and/or

-give up all your firearms.

and....

National Guard would deliver all food rations for non-essential families. 
"But that's crazy!"

-ding-

[discuss]

Too many non sequiturs to rationally discuss.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.