Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should law enforcement/military be involved?

Yes. If necessary for the greater good. But there will always be a low percentage of society who thinks they're exempt or they have oppositional defiance disorder. Or they're bored and selfish. Some people can't do change and will resist.

It's estimated 1% of society's population is narcissistic. (Don't do the math) but some of these folks are surfacing.  

But there's more good about our society than bad.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   Keep in mind I am talking about people who are defying an order from either local or state government.

At the very least they should be fined.

Again, I don't know what the answer is.  Everyone needs to do what they can to halt the progression of this.  If that means staying put, just do it.

A stay at home order won't work if some  people keep being stupid.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely not.  Sounds like how police states and government control begin.  Slowly at first, give up one of our freedoms "for the pubilc good".  Til the next time and before you know it, it is the "norm".

I  am staying at home and are most of the people who are able to with the exception of those in essential positions.  The few who are congregating I believe are in the minority and played up by the media and while those few may contribute to the spread of all viruses, giving up a freedom is forever.  Many of the congregants by now have seen that it does spread the virus and are becoming fewer and fewer. 

I'm more afraid of the changes coming for our country after this pandemic than I am of the actual virus.  As was said " the cure becomes worse than the problem" and I can see that becoming reality.  Being "forced" seems like the beginning of loss of freedom and a slippery downward slope for our Country.  Once we start with ignoring the Constitution, we are asking for trouble

I can see the National Guard distributing food and medical supplies but not used for enforcement.  As for the police, they will be very busy just dealing with more crime that will be on its way.  

I apologize to those with a different opinion but that is how I see this issue.

Honored Contributor

Don't hurt them or jail them. First offense: Put ankle monitors on them and shut off their cable and internet and cell phone for a day every time they gather in a group larger than 10. If they keep at it, broadcast the locations of the biggest offenders so the rest of us can shun them. They want to act like snotty teens? Take away their tv time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

Absolutely not.  Sounds like how police states and government control begin.  Slowly at first, give up one of our freedoms "for the pubilc good".  Til the next time and before you know it, it is the "norm".

I  am staying at home and are most of the people who are able to with the exception of those in essential positions.  The few who are congregating I believe are in the minority and played up by the media and while those few may contribute to the spread of all viruses, giving up a freedom is forever.  Many of the congregants by now have seen that it does spread the virus and are becoming fewer and fewer. 

I'm more afraid of the changes coming for our country after this pandemic than I am of the actual virus.  As was said " the cure becomes worse than the problem" and I can see that becoming reality.  Being "forced" seems like the beginning of loss of freedom and a slippery downward slope for our Country.  Once we start with ignoring the Constitution, we are asking for trouble

I can see the National Guard distributing food and medical supplies but not used for enforcement.  As for the police, they will be very busy just dealing with more crime that will be on its way.  

@KathyM23 

That's exactly how I see it, too.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   Keep in mind I am talking about people who are defying an order from either local or state government.

At the very least they should be fined.

Again, I don't know what the answer is.  Everyone needs to do what they can to halt the progression of this.  If that means staying put, just do it.

A stay at home order won't work if some  people keep being stupid.

Does a law stop people from drinking and driving?

There will always be those who will defy laws, mandates, etc.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Freedom doesn't include breaking the law.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

NO!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@KathyM23 

I absolutely agree with every word.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those who say a resounding 'YES',

then how about,

-give up your keys to your car,

-turn in your driver's license,

and/or

-give up all your firearms.

and....

National Guard would deliver all food rations for non-essential families. 
"But that's crazy!"

-ding-

[discuss]