Esteemed Contributor

Should he get his horses back?

An older man was arrested a few days ago for endangering the welfare of his two horses.  He rode one horse, and the other horse trotted behind him.  The police took his horses and a few days later they arrested him.  He's fighting to get his horses back.

NEW YORK - The New York Police Department arrested an 80-year-old cowboy who gained national fame by riding his horse around the country to help hungry children.

Officers arrested Tod “Doc” Mishler three days after he rode one horse while leading another across the Outerbridge Crossing linking New Jersey with Staten Island.

He apparently caused quite the traffic tie-up and was issued a court summons for blocking traffic and trespassing.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/167955297-story

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Re: Should he get his horses back?

[ Edited ]

After reading the information you added after my first response, I say no.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Only if he agrees to stop "endangering the welfare" of the horses.

They said his horses were malnourished, had all kinds of sores and dehydrated.  This isn't the first time he's gotten into trouble with horses with similar charges.  Knowing that, I don't think he should be allowed to have his horses back.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

They said his horses were malnourished, had all kinds of sores and dehydrated.  This isn't the first time he's gotten into trouble with horses with similar charges.  Knowing that, I don't think he should be allowed to have his horses back.

No he should not. Send them to Jon Stewart farm in NJ for abused animals.

Honored Contributor

He sounds like he is missing a screw or two....why should the two horses suffer abuse to help hungry children?  Let the old man walk himself ......not abuse animals.

Respected Contributor

Much more importantly than breaking laws about riding horses on city roadways is his apparent abuse of those horses, so .... no.

Respected Contributor

Probably not.  He's 80, so maybe there's some dementia there?  Time to send the horses someplace where they can get healthy & live a better life.

Respected Contributor

No. Abusers never.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

No he should not. Send them to Jon Stewart farm in NJ for abused animals.

I agree.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

No. Abusers never.

One of the horses has a bad leg, yet he forced them to walk because he said if they slowed down they would get lazy.  SMH.

*Call Tyrone*