Super Contributor

Re: Should he Stay or Should he go ?

If you feel it is so important to do the right thing, in your mind, why don't you propose to him?  It is 2017, ask for what you want, you will find out real fast if he is the real deal or not.   Be prepared for him to walk away.  Are you sure you are ready for that option?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've told this story before, but it's such a good cautionary tale.

The mother of my BF died and left HER family estate to her husband, to be passed down the generations.

He remarried... a gold digger, pure and simple.  My BF had to pay her father "rent" to live in what should have been her home.  My BF died young of cancer, leaving what she assumed was her home to her children.  Her father died shortly after  and left the family home to the gold digger and the children of the gold digger, who promptly kicked out my BF's disabled son.  Onto the street.

If there is an estate and children involved, don't remarry unless you have enough $$$ to pay for an exceptional lawyer.

Honored Contributor

Either you are willing to cut off your nose to spite your face or this is just total baloney.

I'm starting to think the latter.

Honored Contributor

Let's face it, and without meaning to sound unpleasant, the OP is at the age where white lace and promises is a bit much to expect... It simply doesn't mean what it might have meant years ago... This couple isn't starry eyed twenty-somethings and if they're enjoying a mature love then that should be seen as a good thing... Ring or no ring...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Love is about compromise.  It sounds like you're trying to control the situation.  What you do is up to you, but I'm very confused about your confusion.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought this was fake from the beginning, just because it is a fairly new poster.  Why would a new poster put out so much of her personal business.  With that, if it is the real deal, then she has much to think about.  If not, she has plenty to talk about on her dinner date and how she fooled all the people on this board.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Sometimes it is fun playing Dear Abby.  You don't share his values on marriage, yet you two are compatible.  If it were me, I'd enjoy things as they are.  If marriage is your ultimate goal, then you clearly need to move on.  Oh, and those who say marriage is a piece of paper don't appreciate what it symbolizes.  

Respected Contributor

You said that you "love each other very much"......then it will work out. Trust that.

You sound happy to me.....don't let that go.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Sometimes it is fun playing Dear Abby.  You don't share his values on marriage, yet you two are compatible.  If it were me, I'd enjoy things as they are.  If marriage is your ultimate goal, then you clearly need to move on.  Oh, and those who say marriage is a piece of paper don't appreciate what it symbolizes.  

I don't think it's a matter of some of us not appreciating what it symbolizes, but of simply not agreeing about what it symbolizes... and, perhaps, not agreeing that the symbol is as important as the actual relationship...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I thought this was fake from the beginning, just because it is a fairly new poster.  Why would a new poster put out so much of her personal business.  With that, if it is the real deal, then she has much to think about.  If not, she has plenty to talk about on her dinner date and how she fooled all the people on this board.

Please....this story did not fool ALL THE PEOPLE on this board.