Esteemed Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

Hunting families would think it was okay to teach young children about gun safety and nature. At older ages get  hunting license. 

Husband and son are members of hunting / fishing club with a few other families since 1994. My son was ten years old when he began hunting. However, grandson began earlier. (I don't approve, but don't tear the family up over it, either) 160 acre area within an hour from home. So, the men in my family participate. I walk the beautiful land during non-hunting times. Hunting is a subject we will never connect on.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Taking a child hunting and actually handing them a gun to hunt with are 2 different things.

I know every time my young son was taken hunting, he ended up spending most of his time playing or eating up the snacks.    

Whether you approve or not, it's also a form of bonding & family time. In the case of the Royals, it's tradition.

You can bet Meghan won't let her little one go, (when she has one) she wouldn't let her husband go hunting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

More than anything, I worry about long-term hearing loss.

Especially this new generation coming up with different

listening devices (ie. ear pods for everything)

than the generations before us. All that has a

cumulative effect over a long lifetime. 

Respected Contributor

Whether or not a five year old or any child should be taken on a hunting trip depends on the child.  

Respected Contributor

I went hunting with my grandfather at that age, he taught me to respect animals by taking no more than you're going to eat, gun safety & owning a gun comes with huge responsibilities. I passed those lessons to my sons & they're passing it on to their children. We hunt & I teach gun safety at a local Conservation Club, classes for children & adults.

Respected Contributor

They do have some strange customs. But I don't live in England.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely a no for me.

Respected Contributor

I think it may teach them bad habits. I myself could not kill anything with a weapon. And my kids because of being around a weird family , my in-laws, they taught my kids to just abuse animals. Didn't like it then and don't really like it now.

Honored Contributor

For cultures that that rely on hunting for their subsistence, five isn’t too young. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, that is the best answer. It really got me going.