Honored Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

@sidsmom wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

In the US, yes, five is too young on public lands. In the UK is is traditional and in a controlled environment it is okay.

Children who live on farms are exposed to animals being killed for food from birth.  City folks are not used to this and may get upset, but country kids do not.

i am often amazed at the 4H kids who sell their animals for college money at the county fairs after raising them from birth.  They know they are not pets and seem to do fine.  

I know I would be a mess.  I get too attached.

@Carmie Some farm kids are ok with it, others struggle. Last summer I went to a livestock sale associated with a county fair. Several 4H kids who were excited to get money for their animals started crying when reality set in at the end of the auction and their animals were loaded into the meat trailer.  

Many, MANY struggle.

Many of the current plant-based pioneers grew up on dairy farms/ranches.

They witnessed the destruction early on...only to later realize to make a

change and their the change their Life’s work. 

That is fine, that is THEIR life's work. It doesn't have to be everyone's life work. And neither side's ideals have more value than the other.

Honored Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

And people wonder why young kids accidentally kill other kids "when they are showing them Daddy's gun."   How stupid can people be?

It's actually the opposite.

Kids who are raised PROPERLY with the use, storage and safety of firearms in the home, know from an early age all about them, and the 'mystery' isn't there to attract them. 

It is the ones who aren't taught, aren't shown, aren't supervised that this happens with. 

We have demystified everything else for our children. Sex, stranger danger, drugs, etc. because we feel they are much safer armed with knowledge. 

Guns should be no different. Take the mystery out of all of it, and they will make better decisions. If they have handled guns, learned to shoot, learned to care for and properly store them, if they have learned the limits of their proper use they won't be as tempted to sneak and hide and get into trouble with them.

Honored Contributor

No.  But what do I know?   You don't know how capable a child of 5 is yet of handling the death of an animal.  Kids can pretend to be tough, if thats what the parents want, or to please them.  But a few can suffer.  I know a man who hated it, and he hated his father for taking him.  I wouldn't hunt, and my husband doesn't.  We dont eat meat.  😚But I do not have anything against those that do responsibly.  It is a fact of life.  We fish though.  

Honored Contributor

I would say no but then I was not raised in the country and no one in my extended family ever went hunting.  I guess it would depend on where you lived and what your parents enjoyed doing.  

Respected Contributor

FRe: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

Ah, yes, the joy of killing living creatures, eh? 

Honored Contributor

Re: FRe: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

@libbyannE wrote:

If you eat meat (not saying you do, but in general) you’re  letting someone else kill them for you. Hunters at least have to use skill to get their meat and often times they come empty handed.  Animals in the forest can escape.  Animals let to slaughter do not.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting to read a variety of viewpoints here. 

I dont understand the thrill in hunting and killing an animal but I also believe there’s a humane way and a not so humane way. My brother hunts during deer season. Harvests 1 buck each year from our jointly owned 80 acres. He’s really careful and only takes the shot when he has a very good chance of taking the deer down where it stands. He utilizes the meat. 

I tried my hand at being vegan for almost 2 years. Now I eat meat again, just not as much.  I am not in favor of factory farms, or CAFOs.  I’m familiar with how hogs are treated in CAFOs and don’t support that.  We get beef and chicken from local farmers. The chickens are free range, the cows live in a pasture. They are killed quickly on butchering day. 

I think it’s possible to support humane treatment of domestic farm animals and wild animals, and still eat meat.

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

If you eat meat (not saying you do, but in general) you’re  letting someone else kill them for you. Hunters at least have to use skill to get their meat and often times they come empty handed.  Animals in the forest can escape.  Animals let to slaughter do not.  

Great post.  That's pretty much what it comes down to, isn't it?

Animals raised for food are among the least protected as far as humane treatment goes.  The number of animals killed to feed the world is staggering and the conditions many endure for their brief lives is deplorable.

So many people seem to contemplate the horrors of hunting while munching on a ham sandwich.  The intellectual disconnect is staggering.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

Great post.  That's pretty much what it comes down to, isn't it?

Animals raised for food are among the least protected as far as humane treatment goes.  The number of animals killed to feed the world is staggering and the conditions many endure for their brief lives is deplorable.

So many people seem to contemplate the horrors of hunting while munching on a ham sandwich.  The intellectual disconnect is staggering.

If people want to see the difference between hunting and other meat production methods, they need to see how a slaughter house works.  Would be interesting to see if some change their minds about how humane each method really is.  But they won't bother finding out where their food comes from, just criticize others.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

NO