Respected Contributor

Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

It was reported that Kate Middleton took 5 year old Prince George on a "grouse hunting expedition." I am aware that the British Royals hunt but I would be reluctant to take a five year old who could be upset. Of course, we don't know what he actually witnessed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

No. Never ! My cousin took his little boy , along with his Father and brother and my uncle shot and a bullit bounced of a rock and the little boy was killed.

Honored Contributor

The point is he will learn gun safety.  I believe all kids should be taught gun safety whether or not they ever own or shoot a gun as an adult.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

That is about the age my brother and I were when dad first took us hunting.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn’t do it. Children could become upset, seeing the death of an animal. My husband tells the story of his one-and-only hunting expedition. He was a teenager and shot a deer. He threw up and never went hunting again. He could not eat venison after that either. A five year old could become quite upset. It’s not worth finding out how he’d react, even if it’s a bird.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, because experience is the best teacher, and it goes back untold thousands of years.  Gun safety used to be handled by hunters and schools, and it should still be that way.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@chessylady

I suspect it is normal for royals to do this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the US, yes, five is too young on public lands. In the UK is is traditional and in a controlled environment it is okay.

Children who live on farms are exposed to animals being killed for food from birth.  City folks are not used to this and may get upset, but country kids do not.

i am often amazed at the 4H kids who sell their animals for college money at the county fairs after raising them from birth.  They know they are not pets and seem to do fine.  

I know I would be a mess.  I get too attached.

Honored Contributor

Not at five, I don't care how advanced he may be for his age. Small children have a fascination with guns and should be told IMO that they are dangerous and they should stay away from guns. 12 years old is young enough to teach gun safety and I'm against hunting unless it's a necessity.

Honored Contributor

It's also normal in certain areas of our country, but it also depends on the child, his/her basic personality.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*