Honored Contributor

Re: Should a Five Year Old Be taken Hunting

It is the height of hypocrisy to look down on others who hunt for food (not trophy hunting) yet eat meat from slaughter houses. Yes talk about cognitive dissonance. 

I am against fox hunting and preserves that are seeded just for hunting purposes and the like 

Honored Contributor

Since this is a British tradition it can be assumed that five year old boys have been taken hunting for centuries and, as far as I know, none have been injured, none have shot classmates, none have tortured animals. So, I accept that it's no concern of mine.

Bty, Charlotte at three is riding and has been for some time.

Esteemed Contributor

In a word? NO!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here in PA this is how it is as of the 2015-16 hunting season:

The Pennsylvania Game Commission on Friday voted to set 7 as the minimum age for kids to get their own tags to hunt deer and turkeys.

Kids under 7 can still hunt those animals, but they will have to use tags surrendered by their mentors. Kids cannot get their "own" hunting license to hunt until age "12"

Frankly I think age 5 is young, but thats just my opinion. I actually think they should be 12 or 13. 

To add, hunting is big here in PA. My husband's dad more or less made him go hunting as a kid. When he got older as in tween years he told his dad he is quitting, said he cannot kill an animal. But my husbands whole family (including kids) all hunt..Deer hunting is big here. 

I would never hunt, but yes we eat  some meat (very little) 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

My SIL took my grandson along deerhunting when he was 6. He played with the vile of deer urine, and then he fell asleep! Hahahaha! He's getting better at staying awake these days and is hoping to get his first deer this year. I'm sure Kate has the best interests of her sweet child at heart.

Honored Contributor

Having a problem with killing an animal for food but still eating meat is like being okay with hiring a hit man to do it for you. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Mongolia, African, First Nations, Inuit, many indigenous people. 

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

For cultures that that rely on hunting for their subsistence, five isn’t too young. 

Who would that be?

Most of the Cajuns living in south Louisiana still live off the land.